We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snakes in buxton

Manito, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
snakes in buxton

my son in law told me there are lots of snakes, especially in the canals. worried about that. we will have 2 girls ages 9 and almost 4. my daughter would freek out if she saw one. me on the other hand would not.

22 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: snakes in buxton

Why would your kids be in a canal? Snakes are every bit as afraid of you as you are of them. They will avoid you so unless you surprise them or try to reach them, they will avoid you. Sure, they can be around but it is not likely you will encounter one or be harmed in any way by one. Worry about the nuts in cars more than snakes.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
179 reviews
2. Re: snakes in buxton

North Carolina does have several species of water snake (Nerodia) and cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorous). While they aren't among the Southeast's pretty snakes (I'd nominate rough green snake and corn snake), water-loving snakes are more of a freakout than a safety matter.

…davidson.edu/herpcons/…snakes.html

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,892 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: snakes in buxton

The canals are for kayaks, boats, etc. Don't swim in them. I got my feet cut up really bad crossing one to retrieve an errant kite. (I was stupid and didn't put on my water sandals first.)

There are a lot of critters out there—sharks, alligators, bears, snakes. But it's rare a human has a run in with them. Just keep your distance if you spot one.

Manito, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
4. Re: snakes in buxton

having never been to the outer banks, I know nothing about the canals. just wanting information and am sorry if this sounded like a stupid question. thanks for the info. deb

Manito, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
5. Re: snakes in buxton

thank you so much for your reply. I had no idea what canals could be used for and just wanted some information. yours was helpful.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,892 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: snakes in buxton

oh, btw, I thought I mentioned it, but re-reading my response I realize I didn't. What I cut my feet on was oyster shells from live oysters living in the canal. They're very sharp when they're alive. The shells you find on the beach have been tumbled about in the waves and smoothed out, but walking on a bed of oysters in a canal barefoot is not recommended. I did get the kite, though. And then got some bandaids when I got back to the house.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
639 posts
7. Re: snakes in buxton

The canals are salt water aren't they? No snakes in salt water.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
138 reviews
8. Re: snakes in buxton

We have encountered snakes numerous times everywhere from Corolla to Ocracoke. We have had them in the yard of a rental on the beach side in Kinnakeet and in Duck. I am unreasonably worried about them, as I seem to be a magnet with snakes but, it hasn't stopped me from visiting. We head down often so we are bound to see them-during your week it is unlikely.

As others mentioned, be wary around the sound and canals as they like the brackish water.

Have a great time.

Manito, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
9. Re: snakes in buxton

thank you very much, we are from Illinois and I have never been to the outer banks. not trying to sound stupid, just didn't know. we are renting a house on one of the canals so was just curious about that. I was told not to swim in the canals. deb

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: snakes in buxton

Consistent with #8, it is relatively common to see snakes on land near the water or in the water on the sound and in canals on Roanoke Island, both black snakes and cottonmouths, thankfully more black snakes. As mentioned, however, they are not likely to attack unless really startled.

Reply to: snakes in buxton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buxton