We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After labor day?

Which Carolina Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
After labor day?

We are in the planning stages of a long weekend trip to Carolina Beach the end of September, but everything I see closes labor day weekend. Is there anything to do after labor day? Thanks!

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After labor day?

I don't really know about Carolina Beach being as we go to Oak Island, but you'd be so close to Wilmington and other areas I'm sure you'll find that not everything closes down...

What type of activities? What age group? Kids?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After labor day?

We are taking our daughter and her family on a short vacation. My grand-daughter will be 2 1/2 then. Is the aquirium still open in Ft. Fisher? I think she would love that! I thought the fireworks and movies on the beach would have been nice, but noticed they will not be going on then. She may be too young for that anyway.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After labor day?

I believe the Ft. Fisher Aquarium is open year round, so that would be one thing you could do as a group.

For a 2 1/2 year old, a day on the beach building sandcastles would probably be a great day. Weather permitting, that would take care of another day...

I suggest using this site and looking at the "attractions" are of "things to do" in Wilmington. That could give you a lot of ideas on places that are convenient to CB for day trips.

Probably best to make contact via phone or email to ensure that the various things you may want to do will be open when you're there...

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After labor day?

Not sure what your source is but living just over the bridge IMO the majority of restaurants and tourist type attractions are still available. Most try to stay open until sometime in late October after the last fishing run ends. The aquarium is open and if you give your grand daughter a bucket and shovel she can dig up the entire 5 miles of beach. Enjoy your stay!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After labor day?

The aquarium, the Kure Beach Pier, the ferry ride over to Southport....and the Beach itself!! All a little 2 1/2 yr old needs!

Have a great time!!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After labor day?

Thank you! I think it will be a fun trip.

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After labor day?

We've never been in September but have been in April and May before the 'season' starts and have never had a problem finding things to do. Our daughter who is 3 now enjoyed the aquarium very much the last two years we went there. And of course playing on the beach is a favorite. The small lake and playground in Carolina Beach is also a fun way to spend an afternoon. We like to get ice cream at Squigleys and take it over to the lake and walk around there. Our daugher enjoys seeing the ducks there too.

If you venture into Wilmington check out a horse-drawn carriage tour. We did one back in April(it only lasted about 30 minutes) and our daughter loved it. There are always boats docked around the riverwalk area and we also have a fun time looking at all the boats. And the arboretum in Wilmington is free and has an adorable children's garden and lots of fish to feed in the pond. We also really enjoyed Airlie gardens in the spring so I'm sure it would also be nice in the fall.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After labor day?

Thank you for the suggestions. It all sounds like fun and I'm really looking forward to our stay. We have not made reservations yet, but are looking to stay in a house or condo maybe in Kure Beach.. Any insights on that thought? Thanks again!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After labor day?

Kure is very nice too. The next "town" or neighborhood...south ...of Carolina Beach. We stayed at Ocean Dunes one time. Very comfortable, nice

2 bed/bath condo. Got it thru Bullard Realty. This one.....

http://www.bullardrealtyonline.com/2101od

They have plenty other rentals available too.

And....Kure is a stones throw to the Aquarium, Ft. Fisher and the Ferry. (if you stay in Carolina Beach, you have to drive thru Kure anyway to get to those places) I'd stay there again for sure!

10. Re: After labor day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations