We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with this alternate route?

United States
Level Contributor
359 posts
26 reviews
Experience with this alternate route?

Hi. We are driving on a Saturday from Northern VA to Salvo, leaving at 5:30 am. Our rental company provided two alternate routes to Hatteras. Comments on taking either of these please!

Preferred Summer Travel Route From the North

Not Using I-95

(Red Route on map) From I-64 in Chesapeake, take exit 291B for US-17 South, VA 168 South.

Take exit 15B for US-17 South, keep right on US-17 South.

Follow US-17 South into North Carolina.

Take US-17 South by-pass around Elizabeth City.

Continue on US-17 South to NC-37 South.

Turn left on NC-37 South. (NC-37 South becomes NC-32 South.)

Follow NC-32 South.

Make left onto 94 South.

Make right onto Benson Road.

Turn left on US-64 East.

Keep going east to Roanoke Island and The Outer Banks.

Once across the Causeway, Turn right onto NC-12 South onto Hatteras Island.

Alternative Summer Travel Route From the North

If Using I-95 is more Convenient for You:

Follow I-95 South to North Carolina and take Exit 138 for US-64 East toward Rocky Mount.

Follow US-64 East through Williamston and Plymouth, NC.

From Plymouth, NC keep going East to Roanoke Island and The Outer Banks.

Once across the Causeway, Turn right onto NC-12 South onto Hatteras Island.

5 replies to this topic
Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
637 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Experience with this alternate route?

Can't see how either would save you any time . Both are way out of the way . You will not get many slowdowns along either alt. route but the added distance will eat up any advantage from that IMO .

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Experience with this alternate route?

The second rt you posted is 60 miles longer. I have done it . However you seldom have any heavy traffic that way.

this is the alternate that I take in the summer. I seldom run into any heavy traffic until I get to 664. If you go this way be sure not to speed there is radar every ware and they love to catch out of towners

I take 95 to Petersburg and take 460 to the tide water area.Once in Suffolk you will need to take 460/58 towards Va. beach. This will be the first over pass to come to and its well marked. There is a big truck stop on the left just before the over pass you can look for.

It is a bit slower because the speed limit is 55 most of the way except threw the small town and you will want to watch your speed there. However if you go this way and there is a traffic tie ups on 64 then you are ahead of the game. It will end up faster, but all in all it is much more relaxing way. Then of course 664 to 168 south onto the toll road and into N.C. on 158. This is all well marked.

Edited: 14 July 2018, 10:24
United States
Level Contributor
359 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Experience with this alternate route?

Wow thanks. I need to spend some time with the map. It’s been a while that I did anything other than just follow Google maps.

Newark, DE
Level Contributor
62 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Experience with this alternate route?

So I planned to take route 17 from Chesapeake VA to Edenton,NC. Then route 64 to Roanoke Island and on to Avon rental. We are traveling from Newark DE. Any comments from people with more experience?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
136 reviews
5. Re: Experience with this alternate route?

Why would you do this?? There has been no bridge backup on the Wright Bros Memorial bridge this year or last year so don't let several year old reports fool you. We don't know why there has been no backup last year or this year, but enjoy the fact and come anytime on Saturdays.

Reply to: Experience with this alternate route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island