We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Week in Morehead City?

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
190 reviews
Christmas Week in Morehead City?

I need some "people in the know" information. Our son is stationed at Cherry Point MCAS and will be alone for Christmas so we were thinking about making the 16 hour drive to be with him over Christmas week. Here is my question -- I am looking for some place to stay about half way between Jacksonville and Havelock and came across Morehead City. What is the weather like in the winter? Will there be places to eat say on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Will there be things to do there? Or is this just a summer getaway location (ghost town during the winter months). Can anyone give me the lowdown?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Week in Morehead City?

Hi, my family and I vacation here during Christmas and New Year's. The weather is between the 50 to 60 degree range. Occasionally you might get near 70 if you are lucky.I think that happened two years during our trip. There are places to eat Ruby Tuesday, Outback Steakhouse and Applebee's in the area. Look for a guide to the Crystal Coast as this is what that area is called. The Spouter Inn in Beaufort is a lovely waterfront place to eat. Swansboro is a nice little town to visit with great shops and Yana's a 50's Style place to eat with memorabilia all over the walls. Very fun to visit! Morehead City has The History Place which is a museum and there are places to eat also. I hope this helps. Bye for now.

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
190 reviews
2. Re: Christmas Week in Morehead City?

Thanks SavvyTraveler123 -- Definitely what we wanted to hear we are thinking about staying at the Holiday Inn Express (because they are pet friendly and we are bringing our dog). But it is nice to know that the weather will be decent (we live in Illinois and in December your looking at 30s and belows so 50-60 is awesome!). And that there are places to eat and things to do during Christmas time :D

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Week in Morehead City?

Another possibility is New Bern. It is a nice large town with lots of great B&Bs. Very charming. If you are not into B&B's you could try the Comfort Suites which is right on the river, looks very nice. New Bern is about 45 min. from Jacksonville, 15-20 min. drive to Havelock, and 45 min. to Morehead City.

I am sure you will be able to find places to eat on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day is questionable as all of Eastern NC seems to shut down on that day. However New Bern, Morehead, and Jacksonville all have the typical chains - Outback, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebees, etc.

Weather in this area can be very unpredictable. Right now we are having colder than normal temps. Today our high is only supposed to be 45 and we had snow flurries this morning, we typically do not have flurries until Jan. or Feb. (if then). Supposed to be back up to 60 on Monday/Tuesday. Just be sure to check the weather channel or NOAA before you leave to come down here.

Have a great trip!

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
190 reviews
4. Re: Christmas Week in Morehead City?

Thanks for the info TravelingHokies -- we had looked into New Bern but were unable to find someplace that would accommodate our dog. We found a lovely vacation rental for the week in Emerald Isle and are really excited about our trip to NC.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Christmas Week in Morehead City?

Glad you could find a place. A vacation rental may be the way to go that time of year, not so dependent on restaurants. Beside who doesn't like staying near the beach!

Just for future reference if you decide to visit New Bern the Sheraton allows pets.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Christmas Week in Morehead City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 15:38
Get answers to your questions about Morehead City
More Morehead City Topics