We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvos winds...

Albany, New York
1 post
Salvos winds...

Hi everyone! My family and I will be taking our first vacation to OBX this summer and are torn between a place in Kitty Hawk and one in Salvos. My main concern is the difference in the beaches...I think we would prefer the less crowded beaches of Salvos but I've read alot about kiteboarding/surfing which leads me to believe it may be super windy in this area! Anyone that has any experience in the Salvos/Waves area I would greatly appreciate your input! Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
445 posts
1. Re: Salvos winds...

I don't think you are going to see a huge difference in winds between the two. There is a lot of good places to kiteboard in Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo which may speak to its popularity, and having less people makes it easier.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
136 reviews
2. Re: Salvos winds...

Winds are predominantly NE or SW in the summer months and not anywhere near as strong as the winter and spring. Salvo is about 1 hour south of Kitty Hawk but I don't think there will be much difference in the number of people per sq ft on the beach at either place. Kitty has no condos or motels on the beach either so crowds are minimal since the homes at both places are not the huge McMansions found in other areas. Kitty has the advantage in that they widened the beach last summer and there is a lot of beach now which makes it even less crowded feeling and you are 30 min from Corolla, 35 min from Manteo and 10 miles from Nags Head.

Level Contributor
825 posts
3. Re: Salvos winds...

We stayed in Salvo years ago when both daughters were teenagers. Husband and I loved it, neighborhood had a put-in and house that we stayed at had kayaks we could use to explore the sound. Daughters wanted to be closer to the ocean side, not the sound side. And they wanted to be closer to more shops and restaurants. There are some in Salvo, but lots more in Kitty Hawk. The beach nourishment in Kitty Hawk is great!

Just a few more things to consider

Reply to: Salvos winds...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salvo