We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
105 posts
54 reviews
Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

My husband and I love Country Fried Steak. Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Bismarck that makes a great Country Fried Steak using sirlon steak (not ground steak). Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
660 reviews
1. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Well, MonkeyG, I too would love to have country fried steak in Bismarck, but it surely seems that either there is none there, which is possible, since this is a long long way from really good southern fried country steak, like I used to eat in Mississippi, or there is no one who even may know what you are talking about.

We too are soon going to spend a couple of nights in Bismarck, on our way to TRNP ( Ted Roos. Nat. Park) and were hoping to find a German Russian restaurant somewhere, and be able to talk a little German to folks who came over in the 1880's. Yes, we know THEY are probably not around, but thought maybe their grandkids, or? However, it would seem that the only folks who are on the ND forums are one very nice fellow named Combs, two snowbirds from Minot, and you and me.

Hope you find your steak.

ZB

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
105 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Thanks zabriskibound for the reply. Yes, it doesn't look like the Bismarck forum is very busy so I figured it was a long shot to get a response :)

We are from Canada and Country Fried Steak is not popular here. When we've travelled to the US in the past, we've had great Country Fried Steak, but figured North Dakota is probably not the state to find it in. However, I did a little digging and I found a restaurant called Texas Roadhouse that has it on the menu. This is not a franchise in Canada so I'm not sure what it's like, but we're hoping it's good.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Actually hubby is from Texas and there are tons of places to get it here. The best is at Cracker Barrel. The Oasis truck stop also has some but its not real good. Granted, the country fried steak isn't like it is down south but it does pretty good at Cracker Barrel.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

And the lady Combs would recommend Frieds in Mandan if you'd like some good German food...also the Krolls restaurant chain in both town has some good German food like knoephla (which you'll find at many restaurants around as well) and fleishkeukle. Sorry but my high school German spelling is terribly rusty.

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

I did read this thread when it was first posted this morning. But since I only had it at the Cracker Barrel and it wasn't to my liking (Too Salty) I decided not to post. Food is very subjective. One person might love it and another would say garbage. As a good place to eat in Bismarck? Texas Roadhouse is very good. I usually have the 10oz Filet (Not the one w/mushrooms) and the Stuffed Baked Potato.

Malebird

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
105 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Thanks for responses everyone. We like to try different restaurants when we visit the USA and some of the other recommendation made in this post sound interesting. We would now like to check out Kroll's and Cracker Barrel as well as the Texas Roadhouse. All sound like they have some different dishes than what we have in Canada. And now we have a few options for Country Fried Steak.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
105 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

I was just looking at the Cracker Barrel menu online and it looks great. Has things like fried okra, hashbrown casserole, biscuits & gravy, and grits. These are things we'd love to try. However, does anyone know if they offer these items at the Cracker Barrel in Bismarck? It says on the website that these items are available at "most locations" and I'm just wondering if these items would even be available in Bismarck.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

I have eaten all you listed here at the Cracker Barrel in Bismarck.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
660 reviews
9. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Mrs. J.A.,

Thanks for the German advice...you made a good attempt at some Deutsch! We will give it a good go in late August. Any idea on German settlements that still have German speakers?

Danke sehr,

ZB

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Where is the best Country Fried Steak?

Most of those late 1800 folk are dead, you know? :) Linton and Strasbourg have some good German sausages though (and they'll pour on the Lawrence Welk accent at times if you see the right people). I'm thinking the food is the closest link and I know my Dad will drive out there just to buy a decent sausage. Around the Richardton area, there are some Germans too. My grandpa came from Germany and many of that bunch didn't settle as clans. He found good farmland instead of going where other Germans went so his family was about the only full German one in the land of Norweigans.

Get answers to your questions about Bismarck