We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Bison Burger

Canton, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Looking for a Bison Burger

Hi, I'm coming through North Dakota in June. Really looking for a place further East, maybe Jamestown, for a Bison Burger but other than the Buffalo Grille, which seems kind of uppity to me, I can't find anywhere.

Any suggestions for some good local food? Would be stopping in Jamestown the day before and staying overnight so I'd like to do Dinner in the Jamestown area and the next day heading west and possibly getting lunch in Bismarck or Mandan.

Debating doing either the Fort Yates byway thing or just travelling west and exploring some abandoned towns in the SW corner of ND on my way to camp in the grasslands in Northern SD. Not sure which.

Any help in finding a good food joint or things to do are appreciated

5 replies to this topic
North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Looking for a Bison Burger

Buffalo burgers are at the Woodhouse in Bismarck right off of I-94 near the Capital. My Mum is a buffalo eater and she says they are good. Krolls is also a good place to eat in ND....diner like place with some German specialities. There is a mom and pop place in Mandan called Frieds which is also right off I-94 and is good too.

As for things to do, Theodore Roosevelt Park is beautiful, and Medora has lots of attractions. I like just wandering through small towns as well and you might consider dropping down from Jamestown to I think its Highway 1 that goes to Strausburg and Linton then take Highway 83 back up to Bismarck

North Dakota
Level Contributor
141 posts
2. Re: Looking for a Bison Burger

I think Jack's Steakhouse in Bismarck serves bison burgers, (701) 221-9120. Kroll's Diner (Mandan and Bismarck), is cafe-style and would serve local favorites. The Pirogue Grille in Bismarck serves bison medallians and walleye, among others, and is more along the line of fine dining. In Jamestown, The Fort and Buffalo City Grille (which others say is not uppity) serve buffalo burgers. And you might want to try The Depot in downtown Jamestown for good local food like homemade soup. There are so many great things to see and do while you are here. You can find a list of things to do across I-94 at: www.ndtourism.com . To find a sample itinearary for this Interstate go to:

http://www.ndtourism.com/vacations/tripstogo/

Canton, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Looking for a Bison Burger

Thanks for the help. The issue is I'm coming from Ohio with my family. We will be coming into Lisbon and up the Sheyenne Scenic Byway. We then will be stopping into Jamestown and touring the Museum.

From there it's going to be tricky. Originally I was going to head over to Bismarck for the night because I wanted to take the Byway down to Fort Yates the next day. The problem is we also want to see the Enchanted Highway and visit some vacant towns (the kids think that is so cool) then primitive camp somewhere, and by looking my only option for Primitive camping is the Grand River Grassland in SD. I'd never be able to do all that in one day. Because I'd have to go South to at least Fort Yates, Go Back North to Gladstone then back South down the Enchanted Highway and could see a few Vacant Towns that way, then head to Grand River, but its not doable timewise.

So I thought we could just stay in Jamestown, let the kids swim at the hotel pool and the next day skip Fort Yates and head to Gladstone, do the Enchanted Highway, see some Towns and arrive at the Grand River Grassland at a reasonable time to set up Camp.

We would be in Jamestown for Dinner so I'd like to get a Bison Burger and some ND type Food that night, because the next day we'd be going through Bismarck in the morning. Unless there's something in the Central/Southeast corner of ND.

I thought about doing Fort Yates, traveling west and seeing some ghost towns then heading up the Enchanted Highway but I don't see any primitive Camping. The Little Missouri Grassland would be nice but it looks like its only camping in Developed Campgrounds, unless I'm wrong.

I have 2 days total before heading to SD to see Mount Rushmore. I can't seem to fit everything in.

Any suggestions on how to do this stuff, suggestions on what to see and skip from my list, good food joints along the way? Anything helps

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Looking for a Bison Burger

Not sure on what you mean by "vacant towns." I was thinking you meant small towns. Afraid I can't help you with that...I can't think of any truly totally abandoned towns here....maybe someone else can help. Did you look on the ND tourism site about the campground situation? They have a really good list.

Jamestown, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Looking for a Bison Burger

The Buffalo City Grille in Jamestown is a nice place in downtown Jamestown, but people showup in jeans and I've seen hunters still in their camo and blaze orange in there. The service there is great. The Frontier Fort is a bar and grill and is usually only open for supper and later. It is easy to find on the road to the Frontier Village, National Buffalo Museum and the World's Largest Buffalo. Both places serve bison (Buffalo City Grille has a bison section on the menu). www.tourjamestown.com has more information on the restaurants and places to stay in Jamestown. Hope you have a great trip!

Reply to: Looking for a Bison Burger
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bismarck