We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Asheville, North...
2 posts
Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Hi!

I am trying to figure out the best way to get up to Kap from Asheville, NC. to see my elderly father-n-law. Flights are soooo expensive that's not an option.

Would we take a flight to TO or Detroit and then take a very long train ride up to Kap?? I guess there's no easy way to go that far and it be affordable.

Thanks in advance.

Amy

8 replies to this topic
CP0
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

I suggest you look into Amtrak as far as Toronto. Amtrak transfers to VIA rail there. Via is far more expensive than Amtrack though. For that reason I would look at buses from Toronto to Kap.

I know Via can get you to Kap, but were budget my driving force, I would get off the train in Toronto and walk a block to the bus station and see if Greyhound could get me the rest of the way.

Connectivity between trains and buses in Toronto isn't too bad, although you may find yourself with a layover day in town. Connecting between trains and planes is another story.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,550 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Actually - I'm not sure that VIA does stop at Kapuskasing ... it does not show on any of their schedules. The Ontario Northland train used to go to Kapuskasing, but that train service is now stopped. The bus may be your only option... or perhaps a train/bus combo from Sudbury...

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

VIA doesn't go to Kapuskasing and Amtrak doesn't serve or go anywhere near Asheville, so train is a non option.

Bus from Asheville to Toronto would be a multi-stage 24 hour horror. If flying to Kapuskasing is not an option, then look into flying into Toronto (lots of one change options) and Ontario Northland bus north.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
4. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Yes, as Amy mentioned originally, flying to Toronto would work. The US alternative is Buffalo, NY -- that's much closer to Toronto than Detroit, and may be cheaper. (From the Buffalo airport, you can get to Toronto cheaply via Megabus, though note that they do have a limit of 1 full size bag plus 1 carry-on.)

I agree with Ron that trains aren't much help here. (Amtrak can get you from Charlotte-Toronto in two all-day train rides, with an overnight in NYC, but even without the cost of a hotel room it's more expensive than flying from Asheville to Toronto or Buffalo!)

The Ontario Northland (http://www.ontarionorthland.ca) bus service from Toronto to Kapuskasing is long -- 14-hours -- but it'll get you there. The only way I can think to shorten that is to fly from Toronto to Timmins ( www.flyporter.com flies from downtown, www.aircanada.com flies from Toronto Pearson International airport), but that starts to get expensive and you'd still need to get the bus from Timmins to Kapuskasing.

Asheville, North...
2 posts
5. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've been looking at train and bus schedules.

With all of the on and off trains, buses and planes and then coordinating everything it sounds like a nightmare. Might have to bite the bullet and fly from Charlotte to Kap.

It's not going to be much cheaper to take buses and trains and then add in all of the time.....and perhaps a hotel if scheduling doesn't come out right. Exhausting.

Well, we'll see....thank you so much for your input!

Amy

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

If money is a problem then I'd say taking a bus all the way is your best option. You'll have to make a couple of transfers along the way and it might not be a pleasant journey but it would be the most cost effective one.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Regarding the most recent suggestion, greyhound.com shows one option from Asheville to Toronto, taking 25 hours, with transfers in Knoxville, Cincinnati and Detroit, priced at $139.

According to Expedia.com, there are 12 flights a day from Asheville to Toronto, all involving one transfer, on US Air (5), Delta (5) and United (2) , with total travel time of between 4 and 6 hours, at a price of $167, including taxes and fees.

I'll leave it others to draw conclusions about relative bestness. I know what mine is.

I chose Nov 1 as the date for those quotes.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
8. Re: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??

Sounds like the Toronto-Kapuskasing bus ride is about the same price as the Ashville-Toronto bus ride, assuming ronw was quoting one-way fares. But yes, the Northland train was recently cancelled and even that would have only gotten you as far as Cochrane, so it's gotta be bus. The bus from Toronto would be around 14 hours and I *think* it involves one transfer (North Bay), though I could be wrong.

Note that if you fly to Timmins, the bus from Timmins to Kap is only 2 hours and 30-odd dollars.

Regardless of whether you get the bus in Toronto or Timmins, there's one bus into Kap a day, which arrives some time after midnight. If you're leaving Kap by bus it's around 6 am I believe.

Reply to: Cheapest and Best Way to Get to Kap from NC??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kapuskasing