We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus time to zitacuaro

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
bus time to zitacuaro

i've been asking about the best way to get to El Rosario and one person mentioned going from DF to Toluca to Zitacuaro.

How long is the ride from Toluca to Zitacuaro? What about from Zitacuaro to El Rosario?

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: bus time to zitacuaro

It seems, based on some websites, that there are buses from Poniente in DF to Zitacuaro direct. If correct, how long is this ride?

Thanks! :)

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: bus time to zitacuaro

The ride to Zitacauro takes 3 hours. You'll need to spend the night there or in Angangeo. Angangeo is very cold at night. I took the bedding from all three beds in my room. The Hotel Don Bruno a little south of town and down hill from town has heating. In the morning you woill have to find someone to take you up to El Rosario. There will probably be others at the Don Bruno and you could save by going together. The ride up is rough. I was in a Chevy Suburban, but others I saw were in the back of pick ups.

The quality of the experience depends on timing and luck. Late February and early March are the best times to go. The drivers wait for there passengers to return. After exiting the small museum in a cabin, a ranger takes a group of around 6 up to the buterflies. It envolves some steep hiking. I did not like the pace of the group and ended up on my own. The butterflies like sunlight, quiet and moisture. I met some people on the trail who were staying at the Don Bruno. They told me that a group had been up the day before and because it was overcast the entire time, they saw few butterflies that weren't dormant (the bottoms of the pine trees branches are full of them, but it just black, because you are looking at the unsides of butterflies.

I lucked out and had a moment that was the highlight of all my travels as thousands of butterflies swirled around me as I stood alone in a small clearling. It was like being in the center of a tornado of butterflies. I was unable to reproduce that moment.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: bus time to zitacuaro

Larpman,

Do you remember what bus line you found DF to Zitacuaro direct?

4. Re: bus time to zitacuaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 01:22
Get answers to your questions about Zitacuaro