We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

My wife and I honey mooned nearby back in 2014 and spent a day snorkeling in half moon bay. I thought it looked like a nice place to spend a week in the future. Is it still? I have my eye on a rental property that looks like it's between Yalku lagoon and half moon bay. Is that a couple minutes walk to the nice part of the beach or not really? Would we need a car or could we walk to restaurants and the main road to catch the van bus? Thanks for any advice.

We're looking for a nice spot for our extended family that's got a bit of everything.

14 replies to this topic
Penetang
Level Contributor
329 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

Greatest convenience is a Car although we would walk and use Taxies for our exercise program . You see we will walk from our TAO PH Condo to Akumal and HMB most won't . You should consider renting at TAO for a great Quality experience, they have shuttle service . Gate 48 is our Rental Manager

NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

We just spent a couple of weeks on HMB and had a great vacation. I had never been there so I’m not sure how much it’s changed. This year the sargassum is bad and unfortunately it piles up right smack in the middle of the bay. The northern end up near the Yal Ku entrance was cleaner than the middle or south ends. Nahil condos are on the north end and looked fabulous but there are others. We loved that HMB was so quiet and it was basically like having our own private beach. It’s an easy walk to Akumal entrance and then up to Akumal bay. We did have a car and would highly suggest one. Restaurants are ok in the area but if you plan to get groceries and visit other areas you definitely want a car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
603 posts
3. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

Just want to clarify - are you asking has Half Moon Bay changed? Or the greater Akumal area changed?

HMB itself hasn't changed much (other than the recent sargassum). There's some new buildings but it looks mostly the same. As for "Is that a couple minutes walk to the nice part of the beach or not really" Short answer is yes, but the access to the beach is tighter than it used to be. You may want to consult with the property owner about where to access the beach from your particular property.

Akumal (as in the area by the arches) has changed a lot since 2014 - the whole controlled entry to Akumal Bay and the ugly blue shipping containers blocking what used to be the path to the beach will be new to you. You might want to check with the property owner whether you'll need to pay the 100 MXN/5 USD admission. As I understand it, some HMB properties come with wristbands to allow free entry while others do not.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

We stay on Half Moon Bay for 2 months each winter. We don’t rent a car. We ride bicycles and walk. You may want to, but the parking is limited. I guess it depends on what you plan to do. One of the main changes I’ve noticed is a lot more people rent cars.

raleigh,nc
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
5. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

We have only been to Akumal twice - last year and this year. Last year we stayed at Tao. It was lovely, and we really enjoyed our experience there. This year, we stayed on Half Moon Bay because my husband wanted to be on the water. For us, this was perfect. We had a rental car because we had to make a few runs to and from Cancun to pick up and drop off family and friends, and we did use it to go to Tulum. However, if we were only going to go to Tulum, we would not have bothered with a rental car as it is so easy to take taxis. There are a half dozen or so restaurants in Akumal and Half Moon Bay, and to be honest, that was enough for us. We wanted a low key vacation. We rented bikes for the length of our stay, and other than to the airport and Tulum, we didn't use the car at all. We used our bikes to go back and forth to Akumal Bay, and Yal Ku, the little shops and small grocery store, and the restaurants. When we return next year, and we will, we probably won't bother with the expense of a rental car. We loved getting around by bike, it was so much more relaxing.

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

Thanks all, but we decided on Bucerias north of Puerto Vallarta instead, none of us wanted to drive. I'll be back to Akumal again in the future

NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

I’ve been to Bucerias as well, you will love it! Make sure and visit Sayulita if you’ve never been.

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
531 posts
109 reviews
8. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

We are considering renting a villa near the top of Akumal bay which says restaurants, beach, grocery are all within a 2-5 minute walk. (says it's near the beginning of the residential area) I'm just wondering if the "grocery" store would stock supplies for very basic breakfast/lunch and beer, etc by the box/cases? The spot we are looking at has a nighttime security guard, but I am still wondering if in general people feel quite safe staying in Akumal. Also, if you are staying in Akumal, will there be charges just to walk or "sit" on the beach? I see that if you go to the restaurants, you can often enter the beaches and rent chairs from them. Does anyone know a good spot maybe away from the masses for chair/umbrella rental? This is a first for us, so any information is helpful :)

Penetang
Level Contributor
329 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

We walk that area all the time and it is safe , Access to beach Lol Ha and Caribe serve us well all winter. We buy groceries at the stores but large shopping in Tulum by Taxi . We eat more often at SK snack bar [ $15] or Gran Tortuga { $10] because of variety , quality and close to our Condo at TAO . We Love the area and people but our 5 star standards determined TAO Bahia Principe and our Beach Clubs [ Tulum Bahia and Emerald Bay] .Give yourself CHOICES , I noticed you enjoy SK , so do we and enjoy it all Winter Months.

Digby, Canada
Level Contributor
531 posts
109 reviews
10. Re: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?

Thanks - I've also looked at the BP TAO properties - do you know if any of these are on the beach or within a couple minutes walk? There are so many listed that it is hard to tell what is what with them all. Yes, we love SK too :) We are actually just thinking about adding a few days on to an AI trip - so I thought it was a good chance to try a rental for a change and see how we like it. We will not have a car, and we will not need a lot of food/etc - just a bit for light breakfast, snacks and drinks probably.

Reply to: Has Akumal changed much since 2014?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted