We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

Hello

thinking of going to luxury grand bahia akumal

never been to mexico before but was thinking going premium with thomson tui

is it just the flight you get benefits or do you get extras at the hotel

and have we picked the right hotel ie food getting sunbeds as my pet hate on holiday is people

putting towels on beds stupid o'clock and leaving them

cheers geordie

8 replies to this topic
Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

There is a Facebook group. If it’s Grand Bahia Akumel(which I’ve booked) there seems to be an ongoing issue with lack of parasols and shade. Towels on beds from 5.30 onwards

Mentioned in this post
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
14,681 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

Flying premium club with TUI gives you lots of benefits at the airport(Priority check in, fast track security, free airport lounge, priority boarding, extra luggage allowance etc). Once on the plane you will be in the premium cabin with its own stewards. You are well looked after the whole flight with free drinks, blanket, pillow. Your luggage comes of the plane first which is great. You won't get any extra benefits at the hotel you choose when flying premium but I do think its worth it as its a great way to start your holiday.

Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

And how much would you expect to pay for this?

manchester
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

I agree that premium is a great way to fly. Personlly if you can get it for less than £300 per person for cancun I would go for it. We have just paid £230 per person for Punta Cana which is a shorter flight than cancun. I must say service this time was at its worst, but that said it was still good, just not the usual standard. For example we asked for a soft drink and were told that they were coming round with ice cream and then a drinks run so can we wait. So we said yes but it was nearly an hour before the drinks run turned up. I don’t think that’s really acceptable given you pay so much and given that you should keep up your non-alcoholic fluids on a flight. The first drinks run also took an hour after take off which again was much less prompt than usual. Priority bags came off last too so that wasn’t much help. Also there were people not flying premium using the premium queue at Manchester airport. These thugs sound picky but it’s not cheap flying premium so for the price, I think things should be spot on. As they have been when we have flown premium in the past.

Aside from these grumbles, the seats were big with excellent leg room, food was excellent for plane food, drinks were good quality e.g Jack daniels, Johnny walker and there are some nice little touches like ice cream, warm towels etc.

You don’t get anything extra at the hotel as premium is only about the flight. But you do get a dedicated premium check in desk at Cancun airport. Last year this save us a lot of time as the queue for economy was huge.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

Hi, we have stayed at the Akumal twice and really like it. Sian Khan is worth checking out if your looking for extras at your hotel and is presently on offer cheaper than the Akumal on some dates, comes with an upgrade to a superior room + a private taxi transfer both ways. Food is very good at the Akumal but Sian Kaan takes it up to another level.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
144 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

Cheers dave

if you had choice would you stay at akumal or sian kaan

we've never been to mexico just looking for relaxing holiday but not so relaxing its dead

don't want to be fighting over sunbeds etc just decent food and drink and people

cheers geordie

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

We’ve stayed at the Akumal over Xmas and in the summer and never encountered the pool sun bed problems, there are litterally 1000s more sun beds available on the beach which is a few steps away. If you opt for the Sian Kaan then you have a roped off section of the beach with even more sun beds. It will be our first time at Sian Kaan but we have visited their buffet when staying at the Akumal. Food and drink is excellent at both of these resorts and you can have it chilled or lively. Sian Kaan is isolated but you can hop on the bus to the Akumal and use their facilities. Unfortunately entertainment finishes at 11p.m. so if you want to stay out later then you have to hop on the bus to the Hacienda till 2. Do remember that you will be expected to pay extra for your branded drinks outside of the Akumal or Sian Kaan!

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
144 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell

That hotel group has on site dolphinariums, I would not give that group one dollar of my money. It’s up to you whether you support this hotel group.

TUI premium stops the moment you get off the plane.

Edited: 15 July 2018, 10:17
Reply to: thomson premium extras just on flight or hotel aswell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted