We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

We are flying into Cancun in December and arriving late Sunday evening. We are staying in Akumal for the week. I would like to save us some trouble and rent a car at the airport and drive down to Akumal late. Does that seem safe? We are a family of four with two kids. Otherwise we would stay that night near the airport and drive down the next day.

Our hotel offered a transfer ($160 round trip) but then we would need to rent a car in Akumal and it seems like the cost of the rental car for the week would be cheaper than paying for a transfer as well as rental car once we get to Akumal.

We have been to this region before and rented a car for one day from our Cancun hotel - and drove to Tulum and back. We haven't been driving at night in this area. Any suggestions?

9 replies to this topic
Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

Well safe is a relative term isn't it? The problem at night on Mexican highways is all the pedestrians, animals, and worse, the old slow or broken down vehicles with no tail lights. The lighting on 307 has improved over the years mind you. So extreme caution is required. On a positive note, Sunday is a day off for most workers so that might reduce the volume.

I assume you know about the scams that occur at Pemex stations. If not, search the forum for the lengthy thread from earlier this year. Those guys love trying to separate you from your money when you fill up. Don't use a credit card!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,732 posts
2. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

Actually , your pay an airport tax on car rentals so a rental outside of the airport area is cheaper

What exact dates are your rental for?

An a rental will add 30-60 minutes extra

I would get a private transfer to Akumal and arrange a pickup after 1-2 days

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
3. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

"We have been to this region before and rented a car for one day from our Cancun hotel - and drove to Tulum and back. We haven't been driving at night in this area. "

Ok, so you've driven it before so that's a huge advantage over someone who hasn't. I've driven CUN airport to Akumal, and Akumal to CUN airport a few times at night. I prefer not to, but if the flight down lands or home departs in the dark, I'll do it. Done several Tulum-to-Akumal drives (it is REALLY dark on that stretch) and even drove from Valladolid to the airport once in the dark.

Just use caution and good judgement. Take your time and you should be fine.

Good point above with Pemex - hopefully you don't need to fill up your car the first night. Read up about car rentals on these forums. VSD has put a lot of useful information on this topic.

I continue to be a Rentadora Isis fanboy, but check out America (I believe VSD's favorite), Avant, Easyway who also have their fans. Avoid those places with "too good to be true" rates (spoiler alert: there's a whole bunch of mandatory add-ons that will push the price at least as high as the places I've mentioned).

Kim
Eugene, Oregon...
Level Contributor
156 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

Personally I would do the math. You could save 2 days of not renting a car - the day you get in, and the day you leave, and with the 10% airport tax on the rental price you'd probably save around $80. You may find a transfer for around $100 if you shopped around. So it could be cost effective and easier to take the transfer.

Or you could get the car and stay in Puerto Morales as its a nice town and close. The hotels around the airport aren't great. The 307 is well lit until Playa Del Carmen and then it's only a little further to get to Akumal. So driving wouldn't be that bad either.

I can recommend american car rental.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,553 posts
134 reviews
5. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

The only problem with getting a car rental that late at night, after you've traveled, cleared Mexican immigration, picked up your baggage, and cleared/walked out of Mexican customs, is that you are going to be tired. Generally speaking it is not a wise idea to rent a car when you are tired and at night. You are more likely to miss incidental damage that will greatly increase the cost of your rental when it's noticed and mentioned as you go to turn in your rental car at the completion of your vacation.

I would actually encourage you to get a room that first night at either the Courtyard by Marriott or the Comfort Inn, which are both properties right there near to the Cancun Airport. Also both of these properties will offer a free shuttle service to pick you up from the airport to take you to the hotel for the evening, but you must request this free shuttle. Then the next day when you are fresh and ready to go, pick up your rental car during the day, give it a good thorough inspection getting photographs of all four (4) corners, the VIN, the mileage, chek the windsheild for rock-chips, both the front and the rear underside of the bumpers, making note of the tires and rims especially looking for road/curb rash, and finally checking in the trunk to confirm the existence of a working Jack and a spare tire that is serviceable. Then and only then would I take off that following morning in the rental car; and since you won't be at the airport you should not have the additional airport tax included on your rental car costs. Hope this helps, safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: 17 November 2018, 20:04
raleigh,nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
6. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

You mentioned renting a car in Akumal. I'm not sure where in Akumal you would get a rental. We have rented in Cancun off airport property through Yes car rentals twice now and have been happy with them.

Also, we have stayed just for one night at the Hampton Inn nearby the airport. It was new when we stayed in May 2017, and was as nice and clean at that time as any Hampton we have stayed in. It may be a good inexpensive option.

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
104 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

You could have a transfer company pick you up at the airport and take you one-way to your hotel or condo in Akumal. There are several very good companies.

On Mon., you can get a rental car.-- Try America Car Rental as it has an office in Tulum. Take a taxi to Tulum, get your car, then get groceries at the Chedraui, and head back to Akumal.

When you go to return the car, drop it off at the ACR office on Rt. 307, about 1 mile past the airport.

Karen

New Delhi, India
7 posts
1 review
8. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

No need to stay at airport, you can easily get rental cars or vans there. I know North America Shuttle Transfers provides rental cars or vans to visit all the places. You can contact your hotel, may be they can help you.

raleigh,nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
9. Re: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal

Karen, Have you rented from America Car Rental before? I like your idea of renting in Tulum and returning near the airport.

Reply to: Rental car after 9pm on Sunday eve from CanCun to Akumal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted