We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscreen?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscreen?

We are going to Akumal in December snorkling. Is it also recommended to wear biodegradable sunscreen?

Do they check and are there stores there to buy it from ? Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscreen?

Hi BT:

Yes it recommended that you wear biodegradable sunscreen, they don't check at Akumal but do check at places like Xel Ha where they will take away the non-bio stuff.

We bought ours from the place where we booked our hotel transfer from.

Have a good trip.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscreen?

Try buying on line or googling local outdoor shops have or can order it for you. It is benefical/vital to the coral, fish, turtles that you are going to see :)

It may seen expensive however, one you break down the cost vs. usage-it's not.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscreen?

try to buy a rash guard - a special shirt to wear snorkeling

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunscreen?

"biodegradable sunscreen"???? Now I think I have heard it all. What is this stuff? I have actinic keratosis (AK), and at high risk to get skin cancer. My dermatologist recommends I wear an effective sunscreen every day (even in winter). If someone tries to take away my Ombrelle sunscreen they are going to be looking at a knuckle sandwich for lunch.

Halifax
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunscreen?

RonAKA :

Biodegradable sunscreen contains ingredients that are not harmful to the eco system of the reefs. Wearing normal sunscreen while swiming or snokeling can cause damage to the sensitive eco reef systems along the coast. If you need more info you can Google it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunscreen?

Ron, I don't know about the ingredients in your brand, but the bio stuff is available in different strengths. I am Irish light and burn in a 40 watt light bulb. The stuff I use is 40 proof :) and is as thick as bear grease. I've never been burned or tanned or experienced sun poisening. I also wear a heavy T-shirt while snorkling.

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunscreen?

Thanks i thought it made sense but didnt notice anyone mentioning it. I know they talk about Xel Ha and Xcaret but not Akumal.

knuckle sandwich lol !!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunscreen?

Ombrelle is the most recommended sunscreen in Canada, and contains Mexoryl to provide a stable wide UV spectrum coverage. There was a bit of a black market in the US for the stuff, as the FDA had not approved Mexoryl, even though it was available in Canada since 1990 or so. People were ordering it on line, or bringing it back from Canada. I believe FDA has now approved it.

No idea if it is biodegradeable or not.

http://www.ombrelle.ca/index_en.html

Red Deer
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunscreen?

Last April they were selling biodegradable Hawiian Tropic SPF 50 at the Coba lobby gift shop for $160.00 peso's approx $15 US. It was a clear liquid spray and doesn't smell very good, the smell was more like hairspray, but it works. I would reccomend buying all suntan lotion and lots of it from home before leaving.

okotoks
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunscreen?

Last trip I ordered mine from my transfer co. USA Transfers $10.00