We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

is this a decent resort for families and which one is best if any?

Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Hey BVG Steve - haven't seen YOU on this forum before!

Yes, it's a good resort for families - any of them are good, really. It's a laid-back resort, not good for folks that want to party. Best for families or couples looking for a quiet vacation - not necessarily romantic, since there are generally kids around, but it doesn't have water slides, mini-golf, etc., so a lot of families will give it a "pass" in favor of resorts like the Barcelo or the Iberostars. We like the beach here - nice, but a little more "rustic", if you will.

Heading back at the end of April - I believe this will make an even dozen times!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,671 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Steve, welcome as well

How old our your kids

Lots of families go for Coba (bigger rooms / less expensive (but a small walk to the beach)

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Just bringing the 8 year old with us. we own a condo in the Cancun hotel zone but we were looking for something different inasmuch as we spend a lot of time in our condo. We are looking for a 4 day get away my wife, myself and the 8 year old for the Presidents day weekend.

We are going to our condo in March for 2 weeks and figured maybe do an AI for a change of pace.

we are not into partying much, just relax by the pool/beach and a place with kids around for my 8 year old

which one of the 3 is best?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Akumal is the best, IMHO. As is evidenced by the prices, on most websites. Try www.bahiaprincipeusa.com That will include a transfer - just tell them you get a rental car if you use that option or you prefer to get your own transfer and they'll deduct the cost of the transfer for you.

The Akumal section has a great pools, right along the beachline. The Tulum section is nice as well, but the rooms are a little older - if you're on a budget, it's a good option.

Honestly - all three sections are great. Our 8yo son loves it! We stay in the Akumal section, we've found over the years we just prefer it to the others. But we utilize the facilities of all three.....

Enjoy!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Steve, it is best to study the map of the resort. Coba is on the top left, Akumal below it next to the ocean, and then Tulum spread out along the ocean to the right.

locogringo.com/lgunet/…P4180001a.jpg

Tulum is the oldest, and probably offers the most ocean views. Akumal was built next and villa 65-67 have spectacular ocean views. These are part of the golden section. Coba was built last and is between Akumal and the highway. Although they look different the Coba villas are basically the same as the ones in Tulum and Akumal but two are placed back to back with common stairways. So they generally have a pool side and back side. All the villas in Tulum and Akumal are one sided.

Coba is generally the lowest priced, with Akumal & Tulum similarly priced. There are no restrictions on which restaurants, buffets, pools, beaches are used, no matter which resort you stay in. They have an excellent shuttle system to get between the resorts, and one shuttle that goes from Coba to the beach.

Hope that helps,

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Thanks for the help everyone, we are not budget constrained and Coba is to far from the beach. Ocean views would be nice but we also have amazing ocean views in our condo so not a deal killer.

I was looking at the pricing at the golden level Akumal, it is not a whole lot more for a 4 night stay so looks like the one

we stayed at one of the Iberostars the Lindo I think when it was like 1-2 years old, nice place but they want like double the price of what this resort costs. Sounds like this resort is a decent place and as long as it is clean and fun we are ok

thanks again

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

okay I go to www.bahiaprincipeusa.com and arrival date Feb 11, 2010 4 nights hotel only shows ALL-INCLUSIVE Junior Suite Club Golden $1000

this includes the transfers you say?

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Steve that sounds a bit much for 4 nights if it does not include airfare. Even with airfare seems a bit high for four nights. Have you tried the package vendors like Orbitz and Expedia? We paid $1140 $CDN each with flights out of western Canada. Or is that price you gave for 2?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Ronaka - I think that price is for all three.

Yes, the Bahia website includes transfers. Call the number listed to get a price w/out the transfer unless you want it.

They quoted us about $250/night for 2 adults & 1 child in late April, so President's Day weekend will most likely be more than that....and they're the most reasonable we've found.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 20:27
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya

Yeah it was $250 per night for 2 adults and 1 child no airfare. Looks like kids stay free, and the $250 per night was presidents day weekend, check in Feb 11 and check out Feb 15.

I did not think it was a bad rate. If I buy air alone I can get air for $900 for 3 (which is high for me as I paid $525 for 3 for my March tix) so $900 plus $1000 is $1900 total

If I go through Orbitz or Expedia it is around $700 more for package with air or around $2600 so it is cheaper to book separately.

Now if I can get my wife off the phone I can show her the resort , anyone have a solution for that?