We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal snorkeling

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Ne
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Akumal snorkeling

If we bring our own snorkel gear to Akumal will we have to pay any fees? Or should we just rent from them?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal snorkeling

You're talking about Akumal Bay, as in the town of Akumal, I assume? The snorkeling is free there - it's a public beach. Just put on your gear and go in the water. Definitely bring your own.

Omaha, Ne
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal snorkeling

Yes the bay, should we bring fins also?

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal snorkeling

If you're referring to Akumal Bay, there are no fees. If you have your won snorkelling gear, bring it. If not, you can rent from either the Akumal Dive Center (located next to the LolHa), or the Akumal Dive Shop (located over by the CEA). You can either just throw a towel on the sand, or rent chairs ($5 US per chair) from the chair hut located on the south side of the Akumal Dive Center. If you want a palapa & chairs, you can do that at the LolHa, they have a roped off area to the north of the snack bar--a palapa & 2 chairs is $20 US )

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal snorkeling

We bring fins, the bay is large and you can travel more quickly and see more. Just be sure to stay horizontal on the surface of the water, and don't let your fins throw sand up on the coral if you're treading water.

PEI
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal snorkeling

While snorkling at Akumal , some say watch out for the boats . What can one do to stay safe from the boats ?

Thanks

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal snorkeling

There are people who will approach you and remind you of the rules and they will also tell you where to snorkel to see the most things and to avoid the boats. When I was there last week they told me to stay between two large floating pink balls. They also told me to be there before 9 or after 3 to avoid tour groups.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal snorkeling

texmex--to avoid the boats going in & out of the bay, stay out of the boat lanes. There are a few boats that give tours of the bay (most of the boats that come in from other areas will come into the bay & dump all of their snorkellers out near the areas of turtle grass). To avoid the glass-bottom boat, and the occasional tour boat from the dive shop, just make sure you are paying attention. You can hear the boats--look around to see where they are.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal snorkeling

"While snorkeling at Akumal , some say watch out for the boats . What can one do to stay safe from the boats ?"

-------------

My recollection is that there is a large section roped off with buoys. Most snorkel inside it where there are no boats. Some go out past this area, but it does not seem to be a high traffic area for boats. Some anchored there. The area to the right (south) of the roped off area does see boat traffic and I would avoid that. You may also want to consider renting a snorkeling vest from one of the dive shops. I believe they are 50 pesos a day. It helps to make you more visible in the water, and also more comfortable for long stays in the water, plus a little safety factor. Some rent full life jackets too.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
39,065 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal snorkeling

read my Akumal snorkeling tips in the Top Questions about Akumal

most boats are moored to the north side of the boat channel - great snorkeling in that area - sea fans, moray eels, sunken cannons

On the south side is the rest of the Akumal bay which is where most of the coral and fish are - only boats there are the tour boats that anchor and the glassbotton boat - it will take you days to explore this area

10. Re: Akumal snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 00:18