We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

Hi,

We are a couple and a 1 year old infant due to go to Gran Bahia Principe Tulum in about 3 weeks.

We have read with horror over the last week the number of reports about gastro-intestinal illnesses and possibly food poisoning at this hotel. Clearly we are particularly concerned about our 1 year old…

Does anyone have a theory of why this is happening and whether the hotel is doing anything about it?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

We are at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba now. We have not had any issues with the food or sickness nor have we talked with anyone here that has. The food at this resort is excellent, we have sampled almost everything on the buffets and have been to 3 of the a la cartes.

I hope you stay will be a great as ours has been.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

Travelers' Diarrhea affects 20-50% of the people who travel to Mexico. 70% of the cases are caused by the E. genus of bacteria. 29% of cases are caused by Campy, Salmonella, and Shigella genera. 1% are caused by virus suchs as Roto or Noro as well as parasites such as Gardia's.

Symptoms are three unformed stools a day usually associated to cramping or bloating.

Combine this with the fact that 40-50% of travelers to Mexico suffer from Gastric motility. Symptoms included unformed stools, bloating and cramping which continue for days or weeks following exposure.

Gastric motility is caused by either the small intestine not processing food properly or the large intestine not maintaining a proper water balance in the stool. Usually most of the gut bacteria area shed as well.

The causes?

1. Too much high water content food.

2. Alcohol.

4. UV exposure.

5. Improper rest.

6. Unusual foods.

7. Elevated body temperature.

This thread isn't isolated to the Akumal forum, you will find the same questions and reviews for any non-US, Canada, UK or Australian forum.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

i have also been reading to my horror about the illness at gbp we travel on the 21st june for two weeks and worry that we all may get ill . we will all be certainly using bottled water .

4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 17:06
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

I agree with cathibanks, above. Returned on May 24th after 2 weeks, ate all the food, drank all the drinks (with ice), and not even a murmur. Just ensure you take adequate medicinals with you, should the need arise.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

Thanks everyone for your comments, which have given us some reassurance. We have been to Mexico before and never had a problem, and so were shocked to see the change in Tripadvisor comments from previously positive to quite negative.

sheffielder48: we are also going on 21st June (from Manchester) - so we'll see you there!

east kilbride
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

f999,

I have friends that are currently holidaying at the Bahia, Tulum and they texted me the other day to say they were having a great time and Hotel was up to it's usual excellent standards.

Enjoy yuor holiday!!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

We just returned from GBP yesterday and are happy to report we had no stomach issues. I had a few cramps one evening but I really think it was one too many Pina Coladas. No diarrhea or nausea. We had a great time and I will be submitting my report in a couple days. The food was very good.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

Thanks for all the positive reports everyone. I'm leaving tomorrow and was starting to get worried. Glad to know I can enjoy the food like I did last year!

Toronto
Level Contributor
166 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe and gastro-intestinal illnesses

Willworkfortravel - part of your post said:

"Combine this with the fact that 40-50% of travelers to Mexico suffer from Gastric motility."

Not sure what exactly "gastric motility" is, but I do tend to have some stomach issues at home from time to time (have had tests, not sure the cause - some form of IBS is all that's been concluded). Do you think that means I have a better chance of getting ill than the regular traveler?

I mean, I am not really concerned - I have been to Mexico, Dominican, and Cuba all inclusives a total of 7 times and not once have I gotten sick, and I don't eat a lot of the stuff there anyways (I'm a vegan), but I guess my question is if, based on the sometimes-stomach issues I already have, there is anything you recommend I stay away from eating?