We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sale of resort space to locals

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
sale of resort space to locals

Hi,

Several reviews have mentioned "locals" using the resort which resulted in overcrowding and lack of access to amenities.

Before taking offense... we traveled to Jamaica last year. Unknown to us, the resort we selected sold weekend and day passes to local families. It was not unusual to see the resort guests swell by 500 to 600 people. The resort was completely unprepared for the additional numbers and, as a result, there was not sufficient food or drink, staff were overwhelmed, and the pool was overcrowded to the point of danger.

So...while I have no difficulty with paying guests using the resort facilities, I have great concern about potential for overselling. Can anyone provide factual information based on direct knowledge about whether GBP sells day or weekend passes? If so, does the sale of the passes result in overcrowding?

Thanks

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sale of resort space to locals

Every resort sells day passes--but not all resorts offer discounted passes to the locals. And let's face it, most of the locals cannot afford $90 (that's what the Bahia charges for a day pass--each resort is different) per person for everyone in their families. I've never heard of the Bahia being overrun by locals--I don't think they offer the locals any special deals. But here's a fact that some people may not want to hear-- local families were displaced when these resorts were built along the coastline. Their access to the beaches that had been their home has been severely limited due to the development of the coast. Everyone likes to think that the explosion of tourism is nothing but a good thing for the area--but it came at a heavy price to some. The locals have every right to enjoy a day of sun, fun, and a bit of luxury--they work very hard to provide it to us, don't they?

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: sale of resort space to locals

We bought a house at GBPRM in June, we pay $60 a day to use the main resort facilities.

So I guess I am one of those people clogging up the beach on a day pass.

okotoks
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sale of resort space to locals

Mexican Nationals also vacation in the Mayan Riviera.Many from Mexico City.

Packages are promoted in Chetumal & Merida. Nationals often do long weekend trips from there & yes they do frequent the same resorts as us FOREIGNERS.

Augusta
Level Contributor
457 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sale of resort space to locals

Will work for.....

You bought a house there and still have to pay $60???

wow.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sale of resort space to locals

I want to be very clear. This was not a political question although it has elicited responses with political (and somewhat lecturish) overtones.

I have paid to enjoy a holiday. I expect a resort to provide amenities as advertised, including providing adequate resources to support these amenities. If you read it very carefully, my inquiry solicited factual information.

I have no issue with locals, Brits, Canadians, Americans or little green men from planets other than earth enjoying a resort. My issue is with the management and provision of amenities for these guests.

Enough said.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,579 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sale of resort space to locals

You did solicit factual information and I hope you get the information you need. I know it can be a problem at Cozumel resorts who take large numbers of cruise ship day trippers. I would not be happy if I paid for a resort to see the facilities overrun by the folks on day passes, whomever they may be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sale of resort space to locals

Completely agree Robert. When in Jamaica, we witnessed day visitors and/or weekend visitors going to the buffet to fill multiple tupperware containers before returning to their tables to unload in cooler bags. We saw these same people visit the dessert table and return to their tables with 3 or 4 plates balanced on hands and arms. The net result was no food available for breakfast by 8:30, lunch by 12:30 and let's forget about dinner. For our second week (after figuring out what was happening), we left the resort for day trips on Saturday and Sunday. It was appalling and inexcusable; we can't tolerate this type of arrangement again and became very concerned when another poster seemed to indicate that the resort sold day and weekend passes.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sale of resort space to locals

As I said--anyone can buy a day pass to any resort. That is a fact--all of the resorts offer them. If you're at the Bahia, and want to visit the Palladium, you can go there and buy a pass. Fact. Some of the resorts discount passes to locals on weekends. Fact. I have not heard of the Bahia doing this (though they do have some type of camp facility there for underprivileged kids--you might not want to hear that.) I have never heard of the Bahia being so overrun by daytrippers that there is no food (we have stayed there, and did not witness any such thing--fact.) Mexico is not Jamaica.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,579 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sale of resort space to locals

Many resorts may offfer day passes but not all. Its certainly not the case here. But , as I said, the ones who do, are often overrun by cruise passengers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sale of resort space to locals

Robert, thank you for your reply, this is the answer I was hoping for. Iguana thanks for the "facts" as you see them, and the ever helpful clarification that Mexico is not Jamaica, I know I can sleep better now that this confusing geographical issue has been resolved.