We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Hotel Differences

Easton, PA
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
GBP Hotel Differences

The GBP resort hotels range in price from Coba (cheapest rate), Tulum (moderate) and Akumul (highest price). What justifies the difference in rates? Do the Tulum and (especially) the Akumul offer a lot more than the Coba?

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
479 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: GBP Hotel Differences

Haven't been to this resort myself but have been researching it, the map shows the first difference. The Coba section is off the beach, so you have no beach view etc and a bit of a walk to the beach...if you are a beach person this might be something you would not like. The rooms in this section are all Jr Suites and this is the newest section of the resort...so that is a plus to many people. The Tulum section is the oldest section of the resort and spread out along the beach, the rooms are mostly standard here by the looks of it but close to beach. Akumal, I think has a mix of room types, kind of horseshoe around the beach with good access to beach also...seems like taste on what rooms style you like and closeness to the beach or ocean view is the main thing in the choice. The resort is large and you have access to all sections no matter where you stay, so pools, bars, food options are open but think you have less access to all al la cartes depending on your section. Seems like most people feel that it offers good service, good food, lots of things to do and there are shuttles so if walking is an issue you can ride. I am sure you will get more details for the fans out there, they seem to have a good fan base that returns year after year so that is also a good sign.

One good idea would be to check out all three here at trip advisor, take a look at the photos that people take and it should also give you a clearer picture of the locations and the room styles.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 17:44
Westport...
Level Contributor
99 posts
2. Re: GBP Hotel Differences

I have stayed there and I think the reason for the difference in rates is partly because the Tulum section starts with just a standard room and has Jr. suite at a little more.

The Akumal section only has Jr. suites as does the Coba section.

The Coba section is the newer section.

The golden section at the Coba is closer to the beach and cost a little more.

Also, some supplier have different rates with the resort for different rooms.

you can check out the layout of the resort on Google Earth

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: GBP Hotel Differences

We stayed in the Akumal section of the Bahia. This would be my first choice upon returning, BUT if there was a big difference in price. I would consider another section.

Akumal had super easy access to the beach, and their big pool had ocean views, which I personally love. We lucked out and were assigned an ocean view/front building (49 I think??) It was steps to the beach, big pool, and lobby bar. It was also centrally located to many restaurants.

We LOVED the Bahia.

Coba was a bit of a walk to the bach, but they have golf cart shuttles running constantly. Coba had 2 nice swim up bar pools in their section too, plus the rooms are newer......Tulum section older than Coba.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: GBP Hotel Differences

I would say it is location and availability. Coba is in the poorest location well away from the beach and some villas close to the highway. It is also the largest section. Akumal has probably the best villas with the best location (65-67). However, there is not many of them. Tulum has a number of good locations, with more availability. See map at link below. Coba is on the top left, Akumal below it, and Tulum spread along the beach on the right. Note location of 4 lane highway.

You can use all the facilities no matter where you stay.

locogringo.com/lgunet/…P4180001a.jpg

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
98 reviews
5. Re: GBP Hotel Differences

Coba is the newest, and is all junior suites, and being newer has developed the themes of the others, so apart from the proximity to the beach it is generally a bit nicer. If beach proximity is a big thing (or taking the shuttle to it) I would choose Akumal otherwise I would choose Coba.

But frankly Coba is also still way better than being strung out on one of those blocks on the expanse between Akumal and Tulum when you want to get to the lobby/buffet and every shuttle is full.

6. Re: GBP Hotel Differences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 02:31