We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Transfers

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Private Transfers

Why does every seem to shy away from the provided transportation by their travel provider and book private transportation? Is it really that awful?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Transfers

We have done both. If your resort is near the airport, the provided transfer is ok, but if your resort is below Playa del Carmen it could take quite awhile if the provided transfer stops a several other resorts in route to yours. Same thing applies to the return to the airport from your resort.

We used a private transfer upgrade this year to/from airport and GBP and it was only an additional $50/person. The transfer down only took a little over 1 hour. I have heard reports of the provided transfers taking as much as 2.5-3 hours.

If you book a private transfer directly, check with entertainment-plus.net or usa-transfers.com we have used them and found them to provide excellent service. You may also want to check cancuntranfers.com, cancunshuttle.com, or bestday.com to compare prices.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,052 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Transfers

Sometimes I like seeing the other resorts via stops in a shared transfer

But if your hotel is always at the end of the shared transfer (usually GBP) or if you have little kids/ grandparents, then a private transfer may be best

Also depends what time of day or night - will you lose 30-60 minutes during daytime or night

To each their own

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Transfers

As VSD said to each their own. Personally I like to get to the resort (GBP Coba in our case) quicker to start my holiday. We also arrive in the am so it gives us almost a full day there on a travel day. Also our return trip is at 9:30pm and I knowe the tour bus will be picking the people up at around 5:30pm. Our transfer picks us up at 6:45pm and will probably beat the bus to the airport.

The first (and only) time we used the transportation provided (to the Palladium), we ended up waiting 45 minutes for a couple to show up. They got sucked into the time share people ouside customs (BEWARE!!!), and that coupled with the fact that we were the last hotel to be dropped off at meant for a 2 1/2 hour time frame. I just find that a transfer is easier and quicker and I factor the cost $150.00 (including tips) into my costs before I go. BTW we have used cancuntransfers and they have been super. Already booked for next March.

One note, I always tell the tour operator in advance that we won't be using the transportation so they aren't waiting for us to show up!

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Transfers

We have used the transfers included the last 3x we have travelled. But this time it was not included, so we are doing the private transfer-AGI. Which from Palladium Addicts website have heard great things. And for the Canadians out there, they take the money at par with the US.

I have factored in the 150.00 cost into our travel.

It is fun to go on the tranfer bus that is included as you do see other resorts, but as mentioned above, can be a long wait to start your vacation.

I am looking forward to trying the private transfer and will post when we get home at the end of Nov.

Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Transfers

We are traveling with Apple tours and have always taken the transfer included and it has worked well, but we have always been near the airport. This time I booked the non-stop tranfer. [we are staying at the Palladium]. They go straight to your resort, but will take others going to the same resort. It was a $30 pp upgrade. I debated about taking the private upgrade for $50pp. We are getting in at 9:30 am on a Friday. I am concerned we could still get hung up by others. Has anyone taken this option? If so, how did it work? Is our arrival time going to be busy, will they make us wait for more people?

6. Re: Private Transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 01:23