We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re: germs and sickness

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice re: germs and sickness

I thought I would put this on as a piece of information that we always do... but in light of recent events at certain hotels. this will help to stop the spread of most germs.

As you all know... germs and bacteria can live on surfaces for up to 24 hours and some beyond this.

SO....when you GET on the plane... take anti bacterial wipes on with you... and wipe down you headrest / seat arms and buttons / your drop down tray / and your TV screen... and your safety card etc

and use anti bacterial gel or wipes.. BEFORE you go to the bathroom and AFTER....these measures could stop you contacting what someone else has BROUGHT BACK with them.

The aircraft cleaners hoover etc but they do not do this.

Hope this helps.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

This actually a good advice because people often call the condition they get at the tropical resorts "food poisoning" when in reality these cases are often the viral or bacterial diseases transmitted from one person to another constantly and if there is one sick person at the resort, it starts the chain of the people getting ill and spreading it around. There is a big article on the noraviruses on the gov of Canada official web-site

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/norovirus-eng.php

and they say that:

"People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least three days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as two weeks after recovery."

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

Good bit of advice, thanks will definately use that tip this trip.

Also in resort (bahia), all the restaurants have pots of antibacterail hand gel at the entrances, very rarely do I see anybody use that gel on entering the restaurants, its right there next to the greeter, easy to find, if more people used that gel I'm sure that would cut down on the' stomach issue' reports

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

Good topic Sunburnson - sound advice that we follow with each trip and so far...either lucky or well-protected.

We also pack small bottles of hand sanitizer in our beach bag to use before trips to the snack bar or while off resort.

Another is simple tip is hand washing. There are washrooms well situated in each resort - water's hot and soap available.

Although not 100% effective, we always have the Dukoral vaccine. Lasts about 1 year with the added bonus of protecting you on vacation and at home, afterwards.

I try to keep my distance from those who are coughing or sneezing. WHO originally released distance guidelines of 3 feet during the pandemic but now recommends a 6 foot "barrier". Not always possible but worth aiming for.

Good health to all!

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

Also i bring Lysol wipes to the room we get at the resorty and wipe common area's ...tv remote, light switches ect. take 5 minutes and a 4 or 5 wipes but is well worth it to us..

I also do like the poster said and bring small bottles of hand sanitizer to use on the plane and around the resort...

We had the Dukoral drink last year and thought it was good for 2 years better check up to see if it's time for another thanks for the heads up Durhamphoto..

Safe travels...jimmy

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

This is one of the main reasons people are dying from super baceria that is resistant to antibiotics.

Germophopes are directly responsible for hundreds of people dying from simple little things that used to be wiped out with a simple prescription.

We are FULL of germs and bacteria. Our entire bodies are COVERED in them every second of every day. They ooze out of our pores. You can't get rid of them. But when you use these special wipes, and the special soaps, you are ensuring that they become stronger, and more resilient, and more dangerous.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,300 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

Wash your hands..... we wash before every meal. I don't care for the smell of hand sanitizer gel on my hands, so you won't see me using them, but my whole family uses the washroom before eating any meal. It's amazing how many people don't wash after they use the restroom....yuck.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

I tend to agree with master_dman. Using old fashioned soap and water for the proper length of time will suit most purposes.

As James Herriot said "the healthiest kids were the knackerman's kids".

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

It is for that reason that we carry sanitizer with us. After we get our food from the buffet using serving spoons and tongs that have been handled by others, we will use some sanitizer before we handle our own food.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

well yeah, that has an EEWWWW factor. I don't eat at buffets so didn't think about that.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice re: germs and sickness

any md will tell you washing your hans well is adequate. hand sanitizer is an indicator of paranoia.