We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

south jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
32 reviews
Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Has anyone stayed here recently? I don't see anything more recent than May. I found a really good price to stay here, but I need some feedback please.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
58 reviews
11. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Hi there as I said we just got back on the 4th (Fri) and heard the coming Mon they were opening..Didn't go in the pools but the ocean/sea was warm.Hung at the Playa Coba as Jose is seriously the best..I know people say the booze is watered down but I see them open a new sealed bottle and have brought one home so I do not believe this..I believe it's the humidity that doesn't allow us to get tipsy like at home..but trust me the crazy/psycho beaches work..plus people can always ask for a shot of whatever liquor they want and add as they wish..They do have a japanese restaraunt at GBP complex called the Mikado..awesome show table..but not sure what is new at Sian..The bugs were crazy this year so take deet but you noseeem anyways...lol..They did have alot of new trams around and I think they belong to Sian and were being used due to closure..just remember to always ask the porter for a cart as they don't know what your waiting for...enjoy and have a great trip..look forward to your return review..cheers..USD= 12 pesos last week and do alot of reading on Trip advisor for cheap way to do activities by using the collectivo on the side of the hwy by hacienda..$3 USD to Playa del Carmen.Tulum ruins and a cenote that is not far from resort..

maryland
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
14 reviews
12. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

thanks again jroses..TA rocks!! How long is the bus ride to Playa del carmen? That is great 3$ to get there.. I want to go to Akumal bay? I want to see the turtles everyone has been talking about I love to snorkel.. Thanks for all the tips. I want to see Coba's beach..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
58 reviews
13. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Hi Sonny, Although I haven't been to Akumal beach I understand it's about 10 minute from Bahia complex and then a little walk..Carmen is about a 20 min ride and make sure you give yourself a landmark to get back to for return ride.We always use the sattelite towers as it stands out good. Make sure you tell the driver which hotel you want when boarding to save yourself a long walk..AND also observe the driver before you get in van to make sure he's not DRUNK as this is very common..Just tell him your gonna shop more and wait for another..One guy was bouncing off the side of his van trying to stay standing..lol..funny but dangerous..Our friends got in alot of snorkeling at the Coba beach as they have a reef which is roped off but still accessible..Great variety to see last week and best when not cloudy and rainy as the sand stirs up on those days.Best shopping prices were actually at the hacienda on the resort but then again it depends what your looking for..They now have a wal-mart and if you try to haggle to much they actually get pissed off and say "go to wal-mart then"..lol..remember when you see a cruise ship in Cosumel port the prices triple for the day so be careful..DO NOT forget anything a tourist may need as a bottle of suntan lotion can be 15-25$$$..immodium,first aid kit,lotion.bug spray etc...we always take sandwich bags down to pack a lunch for outings and for airport wait coming home as a burger combo at airport is minimum $15,pop $3 and water $4..You cannot take fluids through airport security but can eat in park across from airport after you check your bags..Once you go through security you are trapped inside for hours so we enjoy every mexican minute before we go in (20 min b4 boarding)..hope this helps...TIMESHARE is everywhere and out of control in Carmen so don't feel bad ignoring them and just keep walking. Also pushy with it in resort..Just don't give them a room number or your trip will be ruined..At airport--keep walking till outside as these guys wear tags and demand you stop to see what hotel your in and pretend to want to help you..I felt I had to listen as they come across as official only to realize their LAND SHARKS...Maybe your aware of all this but it might help other readers..Feel free to ask about anything else I can help with..cheers..

Hope, BC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
14. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Thanks for the awesome posts jroses! Have been very curious about the Sian Ka'an, we are going January 10 for a week. I have stayed at the Coba before but the prices at this one were about $200 cheaper per person through Cheapcarribean.com . We are taking our adult children this time so $200 per person adds up quick! Have heard mixed info about what is offered at this resort since the re-open so am hoping that someone who stays in the next week or so will post soon.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,171 posts
15. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Just returned from Akumal and swam with the turtles every day

Much better than the Bahia captive dolphins

maryland
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
14 reviews
16. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

hey faeriesmom, we will be there the same time as you.. We are going from jan 12 - 16 and then going to secrets Maramo.for a few and then gran veils for 1 night.. would love to no someone we could have a tpa meet and greet at Sian kaan.. yahoo..

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
17. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

I'm at the Sian Kaan right now if you have any specific questions...

Hope, BC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
18. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Thanks Rob,

- Is there still construction going on?

- Did the shuttles run often?

- Did you upgrade your room? And would you get that one again?

- Are there two pools at the Sian Ka'an?

- Is there a swim up bar?

That is all I have for now, if you have any tips or advice please feel free to share.

Hope you are having a great vacation!

Hope, BC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
19. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

Hey SonnyJ,

I am not sure what our schedule is going to look like yet but there will be seven of us in all. I am sure we should be able to work something out :-)

Let me know when you would like to meet and we will have a welcoming committee for you!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
20. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Kaan Don Pablo

1) There is minor construction - things like finishing off the insides of the new units, some planting, and furnishing the stores. None of it noisy.

2) The shuttles run a lot more often now - the schedule for the Sian Kaan Beach tram is every 5 minutes, and the others every 15 minutes. This means that there is almost always a tram waiting, but it might not be the right tram for your destination. Overall I feel much more connected, but still there are gaps. I think our longest wait was about 15 minutes, but most are less.

3) Last time we were upgraded to a garden suite, and liked it so much we asked for one again (and got it). The appeal to me is that I wake up much earlier than my wife and I love to sit out on the patio in the early morning and see/listen to the birds while surfing the net. I think most people would like the penthouse, as the deck and jacuzzi are on the roof, but for me it is a lot of stairs. To me the regular room (second floor suites) is not very interesting, and mostly for those that don't plan to spend much time in their rooms. Note tha the floorplans are virtually identical - it is only the patio/jacuzzi or the roof deck/jacuzzi that sets them apart.

4) There are five pools now, of which we've seen four of them. None of them are particularly deep - most go to 4'10". I've posted pictures of the four on my Flikr account here: flickr.com/photos/…

5) No swim up bar at the four pools that we've seen, but maybe they have one at the fifth pool.

- Rob