We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Sirenis

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Sirenis

Hi

I am looking at possibly visiting the Grand Sirenis in october of this year, and have a few questions.

I visited in 2009, june and really enjoyed it- HOWEVER- reading a lot of reviews it seems that the quality of food has fallen and the resort is looking shabby, is this true.

Also, how warm would the pools be? in June they were wonderful.

and finally, the infamous bathroom wall hole, when they cover it, how successful is it? I am taking my sister for her birthday and obviously we need some privacy.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
69 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Sirenis

We were also there in 2009 and just came back from our 2nd visit last week. We travelled with a group of 35 for my wedding and no one had any complaints about the food. Have been travelling to Mexico for the past 7 years and this is the first time that I have not any stomach issues at all. I consider myself to be a "foodie" and always found something I liked. We mostly ate at the buffet b/c we couldn't be bothered to make reservations and it was good, things that were meant to be hot were and often saw staff checking the temps.

Can't say that I noticed anything looking too shabby, some of the landscape could use some sprucing up but never noticed anything major.

Can't comment on the frosted glass between the bathroom and bedroom b/c our room didn't have it. I know some of our group found it uncomfortable even with the glass partition but from my experience a lot of the resorts I have stayed have the opening between the two rooms.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Sirenis

Hi

do they still have someone doing smoothies at breakfast? and is the health bar open by the quiet pool?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Sirenis

Also, how warm would the pools be? in June they were wonderful.and finally, the infamous bathroom wall hole, when they cover it, how successful is it? I am taking my sister for her birthday and obviously we need some privacy.>>>>>

If a wonderful pool to you is a very warm pool, they should be quite warm in October, unless strange weather patterns continue through the autumn....

As to the bathroom wall, we were two friends sharing a room and had no problem. Of course we did not sit on the bed staring toward the bathroom area either. We had a lovely view from our ground level Bldg 18 room, so were truly looking that way 99% of the time.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
69 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Sirenis

They had a bunch of different smoothies available at breakfast - located at one end of the buffett. The health bar was open, never actually visited it but many people in my group stopped by every morning.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Sirenis

There is just to many negatives flagging up for this hotel now, we are looking at the Dreams Tulum.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
838 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Sirenis

We were there in 2008 just when 1 side of it was built (the other one was almost complete) and it was awesome! Now my parents went there last year (as per my advice) and they said it was the worst one they've been to (and they've been to about 10 AI in that area). They said the food wasn't good and there were a lot of stones in the water, like there was a whole trail of them that you had to step over to get to clear water, I swear those weren't there in 2008. So I don't know......Dreams Tulum I've heard great things about. Check out Dreams Puerto Aventuras as well.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Sirenis

One side of the beach is quite rocky, that's the side closer to Mayan Beach side and toward the watersports area and by the bbq and bar/restaurant.

Over to the left of the Mayan ruin is a very sandy area with easy access to the water.

The beach was beautiful, though not the best I've ever been to for swimming, but had some good snorkeling according to those who do that.

The service at GS Riv Maya was EXCELLENT when we were there in 2010.

Dunfermline
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Sirenis

I suggest you look on the hotel reviews to make up your mind.

All this advice is great but not actually a now experience..

we are off tomorrow so I will post when I return....

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Sirenis

Enjoy, we go in 3 weeks so would be interested in what you thought of it.

Barry.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Sirenis

I think a lot of this is personal preference. What do you consider beautiful? I love a more natural looking beach. I love the coral and the wonderful snorkelling. The lazy river is fun. I love how they light up the sides of the building and how open the lobby area is. Some will hate the things I love. Read the reviews, educate yourself, and look at the pictures. Take things with a grain of salt. Anyone that is too positive or too negative, the truth is likely in the middle somewhere. We have been to many resorts in the area but, especially for the price, this is a great place. We are going for our third time in June.

As for your specific question about the hole in the wall thing, I never found it to be a problem. Most have frosted glass. If you really want privacy, you can just kind of give each other a bit of alone time. Go out onto the balcony and have a drink or coffee while the other one is doing their thing. If you mean the toilet area specifically, it has it's own door.