We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weddings

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Weddings

Hi All

we are getting married at GBP May 2014, does anybody have any good tips or advice who have also got married in this resort. we are very nervous about things running smoothly and any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weddings

My son was married there a few years ago

Wedding planners work in Mexican time

Drove my kids crazy that it would take weeks to return emails

All worked out

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weddings

thank you sundog, will bare that in mind and hopefully not get too stressed :-)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weddings

I've done a wedding there and many more all over the mayan including my own and what sundog said was spot on. They work on Mexican time, so be patient, all will work out. Even for my own it took forever to get replies, but I decided to go with the flow and when we arrived, we were in the office for an hour choosing the cake, decorations, flowers etc. and all was good and done. Went perfect. The only thing we preplanned was the menu, location and time. And of course sent them all pertinent documents.

congrats:)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weddings

thanks for the reply Maried11(all noted) ;-)

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weddings

We are getting married there in January and yes, the communication is very slow right now. The last time we talked to our wedding coordinator she said that all the planning will start in August as they usually don't start planning more than a few months prior. I'm a member on another forum (not sure if I'm allowed to say where on here so I won't) but all the reviews from couples I have talked to or heard from says that GBP will not let you down... which is promising!

Oh, and Congratulations!! :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weddings

Hi lizzie123 also congrates to you ;-) I think I know the forum your on about. Please let us know how it went after your big day. What venue have you chosen for the service? We have asked for a beach service and only a small party of 7 guests due to it costing a lot of money from the UK :-( wish more could go.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weddings

Hi daz41! Sorry for the very late reply... We booked the akumal hammocks location for the ceremony, but so far that is all that's decided on. We just sent our coordinator at the GBP an email this week to hopefully start the planning. But until then, we wait, lol!

7 is a nice intimate number, I'm sure it will be beautiful!! :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weddings

Sorry to bump this but my daughter is getting married and we have been trying to plan it with the Bahia Akumal. Good to know I shouldn't stress about the slow emails and everything works out in the end!

Does anyone have more advice or pictures please. especially regarding the bouquet, cake, decorations, etc. thanks so much. I love the Bahia and can't wait to go back!

Chilliwack, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weddings

Can someone send me a message about the other forum you are talking about. I have a wedding there in April. I am more than a bit worried because the emails are not slow....they are non-existant. They confirmed the date and time but have not responded since. Not once. I am beginning to worry as I have 25 guests going and what if there is no wedding?! For that kind of money I would think I could get some sort of response from the resort........

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weddings

I got married in April of 2008 and I have since photographed multiple weddings there.

I would highly recommend you check out www.bestdestinationwedding.com. I have a pretty comprehensive post over there under Riviera Maya Accommodations that should help you out :)