We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

Greetings!

my boyfriend and I returned home last night from a wonderful week long stay at the Grand Oasis Riviera Maya.

We knew what to expect, as we spent a week there in May of 2005 (pre hurricane Wilma). That trip was our first to Mexico as well as our first all-inclusive experience. We had such a great time, we couldn't bring ourselves to try a different resort this time around!

I will create a review ofthe hotel amenities and food in the review section tomorrow, but for now, I just want to add my two cents on the often mentioned 'Italians getting different colour wrist bands than everyone else'.

Here's the deal: we paid for our trip in October. We booked through one of the on-line travel agencies (escapes.ca- I highly recommend them). We paid $1299 CND (plus taxes) each for airfare, tranfers and 7 nights hotel (Dec. 17-24), all-inclusive. We were after a good deal, and we felt we got one. Price was definately a deciding factor for us.

The Italians who were staying at the GORM during the same dates as us paid 1590 Euros ($2459 CND) per person. They book through Veritour, an Italian travel agency, that offers a 'Club Med' type experience at several resorts world wide. Part of the cost of their package is to cover 'animation' = activities. Veritour has about 6 representatives (employees who's salaries they pay) at the GORM. Their job is to entertain and help the Veritour clients. So, the Italian lying next to me on the beach paid almost a thousand dollars more than I did to have someone coerce them into doing aerobics and playing darts. I'm canadian, I'm way too cheap to want or need that!!! We all ate at the same restaurants, drank at the same bars, swam in the same pools, and lay on the same beach chairs. I'm convinced I got a better deal. I'd go to Club Med if I wanted to be babysat.

In case you're wondering, airfare from Vancouver to Cancun is almost the same price as from Rome to Cancun. Cheapest flights available between now and the end of April on Expedia.ca: from Vancouver $747 CND, from Rome $766 CND.

So when you come across complaints about 'The Italians' in people's reviews of the Grand Oasis Riviera Maya, ask yourself if you'd be willing to pay an extra thousand dollars for 'special treatment'!!!

Also, there are some great side effects of having lots of Italians there: good coffee, parmesean cheese and lasagna at the buffet restaurant, Campari and Martini at all the bars, a better than average looking crowd, and getting to say 'Ciao' dozens of times a day. And all for a lot cheaper than a trip to Europe!!!

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion surrounding this issue.

Thanks/Grazie/Gracias/Merci

Melissa- Vancouver, BC, Canada

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

It is good to see that someone else has a clear head about the Italians. And I know what you mean about a better than average looking crowd (there were a few very fine Italian males while we were there)

I always kept in mind what we paid ($1200 CAD INCLUDING Tax for end Nov/start Dec) and we also felt we got very good value for money.

We did not have any problems with the italians at all either, and we even had their "entertainment" staff offer us fruit as he had some left over. And I saw the italian staff give "non-italian" kids freezies.

And like you said I also loved the Cappichinos (SP)/ expresso that we got due to the italians.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

Hi Melissa, I read your message about the Italians, quite awhile ago when we booked to go here I read nothing about the Italians, but lately reading lots. As well when we booked there was nothing but good about the resort, and now of late there is nothing but bad, do you recommend this resort, are people being too picky, I'm from Barrie which you probably know is just north of Toronto, in the past we've gone to the Dominican, Punta Cana, specifically, we generally like to stay in four star or higher, am I going to be disappointed in this resort, be honest, I value your opinion, thanks, Jeff

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

flatlinerca

I may be hijacking your quesitons to cutegirl, but I have a few answers for you.

GORM is the place to relax, there is not a lot of daytime activities.

A number of the recent problems seem to stem from the weather, and flooding that can happen. The floors are all marble for a reason, it can dry easily if it gets wet. (downside-it is slippy when wet)

I always bring a travel clock with me, and you may want to do the same for in the room.

The only day we did not have very hot water was on the last day when we were trying to shower in the morning, the rest of the time including late afternoon it was always very hot. And even at that time it was still warm enough to shower.

Look for my report (It is under Oasis Grand Riveria Maya, in the hotel section) Where I listed the good and bad rooms I checked out. I called a head of time to request an ocean view room, agreed verbally to pay the extra $20 a night, arrived to an ocean front room with no extra cost. (I think the call made a difference)

This is not a 5 star resort, and I think some people forget that, it met and exceeded our expectations based of what we paid.

If you have any problems handle it calmly, go through Marco at the Oasis Plus desk whenever possible, keeping your cool always gets me farther and yelling.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

Hey Neilalex, thanks for the info, we were trying to book one of the oceanfront rooms through our TA and have been unsuccessful, I have tried to find the hotel phone number so I can phone and try to book one in that location. You wouldnt happen to have this number stashed away would you? Also, by reading the reviews, it sounded like the ocean front rooms were the ones people were complaining the most about, ie. air conditioning, did you have any problems? And do you think it is still worth going to this resort or should I be looking for something else? We dont need alot of entertainment during the day or evening, we are travelling with another couple and we can usually amuse ourselves. I guess the only really concern I have is the rooms, we arent picky people but my wife insists on a clean room where everything works, any input would be appreciated thanks!!

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

We love travelling to resorts that the Italians also visit. And I agree with all your reasons why.

Thanks for sharing your perspecitive on this resort, however, the most recent reviews make me wonder if these folks were at the same resort as you?

Could this resort have changed so much in a week or two?

6. Re: Grand Oasis Riviera Maya- the truth about the 'Italians'...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:15