We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

New Delhi, India
1 post
Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Due to recent earthquake destructions in North East Region, is it advisible to visit Gawahati and Shillong in the month end of October, 2011? If it is safe, itinery for the above two places and around may pl. be intimated since we are planning to proceed from Delhi by flight from 27th Oct. till 2nd November, 2011

Sadhana, Delhi

India
Level Contributor
39,490 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

sadhana2608

There is no weather warning in Guwahati and Shillong as such. You can do the trip safely. As a matter of fact, Shillong hotels are 80% full in October.

AshisRoy

Edited: 28 September 2011, 06:55
Dibrugarh, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
2. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

You can safely travel to Meghalaya without any concerns

A good itinerary would be

1 day in Shillong, 1 day in cherranpunjee and 1 day in mawlynnong (tree house experience).

As Ashis said, you better hurry and get the bookings done. :)

Kampala
4 posts
3. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Dear Reader

I am planing to visit Shillong & Kolkotta in December for 7 days. I only have 7 days so want to make best of it, Please suggest any other places that I could squeez in this time.

I am fying into Gawahati and then drive up to shilliong and by road/ttrain to Kolkotta.

Please suggest if what I am doing is right and how could it be made better.

Regards

Praveen

Uganda

Kampala
4 posts
4. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Hello Everybody!!

I intend to do a trip by road in Feb / March 2012 from Kampala to South Africa & back. The countries that I would be travelling through are; Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesthu, Zimbabwe, Botswana,Mozambique, Malawi, Kenya.

Sounds crazy.. I know, but want to do it and for the purpose brought a 2005 Nissan J85 Hard body.

Any suggestions for the trip, the vehicle, countries that I intend to visit or anything that you think would be beneficial or helpful.. it is welcome.

Regards

Praveen

Edited: 28 October 2011, 13:13
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
5. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Dear Praveen,

A suggested 7 day itinerary would be:

Day 1 Guwahati - Shillong

Day 2 Shillong local sightseeing

Day 3 Day trip to Cherrapunjee

Day 4 Shillong - Guwahati and take an overnight train to Kolkata

Day 5 Arrive in Kolkata

Day 6 Kolkata city tour

Day 7 departure

Kampala
4 posts
6. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Thanks for the input.... just remembered that I am missing Darjeeling, Hi I know i have just got 7 days.. may be 1 day more but I definitely would like to make the most of it, but sometimes i feel I am making more like I am on run rather than experiencing the holiday!!

Is this place worth in mawlynnong (tree house experience).

regards

India
Level Contributor
39,490 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Nimitz250

You may think of the following itinerary :

Day1 : Arr. Guwahati & transfer to Shillong, en-route the hotel visit Beadon Bishop Falls, Don Bosco church, Polo Ground, Barapani Lake & Golf Course

Day2 : Day tour to Cherrapunjee + Shillong local sights.

Day3 : To Guwahati Airport get board GoAir flt at 13.10 hrs. Arr. Bagdogra at 14 hrs, transfer to Darjeeling.

Day4 : Darjeeling - local sight seeing.

Day5 : After breakfast transfer to Bagdogra for Kolkata flight. Arr Kolkata.

Day6 : Kolkata - sight seeing

Day7 : Kolkata - shopping & get the taste of famous Kolkata food joints.

*Mawlynnong is the cleanest villege of Asia. Its a nice place, can do it in a day trip from Shillon. But overnight stay at The Tree House is not recommended. It has lack of infra-structural facility.

AshisRoy

Edited: 03 November 2011, 02:22
8. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 December 2011, 00:35
Kampala
4 posts
9. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Thanks for all the post and info, to my surprise I have discovered that the flights from Kol to Dimapur is going to burn a big hole into my pocket. I was hope full that i could take a flight to the top and come bu car/bus /train back to Kolkotta, now that it seem not likely could anyone suggest a way to travel up to Kohima and be back safely to Kolkotta on 26th (anytime if fine).

Reaching Kolkotta on 21st at 10.30 AM.

Regards

Praveen

India
Level Contributor
39,490 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: Trip to Gawahati and Shillong

Flight is the only practical option in that route.