We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Bongaigaon
8 posts
Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

As my Budget and time is very limited and I cannot afford much more, So I am Planning a Two Night & three Day Trip to meghalaya (Shillong and Cherrapunjee/Sohra) This Month or next.

My Plan is as follows.

Day 1- Guwahati to Shillong

Book Hotel in Shillong- I am thinking Asutosh Inn.

Sightseeing in Shillong- Shillong Peak, Bidon and bishop Falls,

Golf course, spread eagles fall, Ward`s Lake, All Saints Church,

Sweet Falls View, Bara Bazar.

Day 2- Shillong to Cherrapunjee (Sohra)

Book Hotel- I am thinking Coniferous Resort.

Sightseeing- Eco Park, Seven sisters falls,

Ka Kerm Mawsmai Cave, Khoh Ramhah Pillar Rock, Living Root bridge.

Day 3- Cherrapunjee to Shillong. Shillong To Guwahati.

My Questions Are..

Q 1.How can i get to cherrapunjee from shillong by road.? What are the RATES and TIMINGS of the taxies and the Buses.?

Q 2.Which hotel will be best in Sohra(within 1200Rs or less and nearest to Eco Park AND SAFE).?

Q 3.Is 1 day enough for the attractions mentioned above, How much will it cost to visit all these attractions.?

Q 4. MOST IMPORTANTLY.. Are the Hotels We`v selected Safe, for unmarried couple.?

Q 5.Till what time is it safe to be outside the Hotel at night.?

Finally, this is my very first post so please be tolerant and ignore any mistakes on my part. I would be very grateful to every one who attends to my queries.

THANK YOU.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
198 reviews
1. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Ans. 1 Maxi Cab - 70/- Tata Sumo - 90/- Timings Morning till 2-3 pm

Ans. 2 Coniferous Resort is ok for that budget.

Ans 3. All sightseeing can be completed in a day, except Double Decker Living Root Bridges which you need to trek 4-6hours depending on fitness level. Ofcourse there are smaller Root Bridges near CHerra Holiday Resort in Laitkynsew. THe resort can provide you local guide.

Ans. 4- There is no issue on this topic.

Ans. 5 - In Shillong on Weekends , many parties in Police Bazaar Clubs, so people are out till 2-3 am in morning. Normal Days - 10.00-11pm. In Cherrapunjee - Better to be in Hotel by 7pm as there is nothing else to do in the night time and it gets dark very early in winters.

By the way you can check out these links below:

http://megtourism.gov.in/packagetours.html

http://megtourism.gov.in/howtoreach.html

My Advice :

Day 1 Start Early Morning from Guwahati and Go straight to Cherrapunjee. Do local Sightseeing.

Day 2. Early morning - Trek to Double Decker Root Bridge. Lunch - After noon Complete whatever remaining Local Sightseeing. Then Transfer to Shillong the same evening . On way stop at Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak. Evening- Shopping in Police Bazaar.

Or

Transfer to Shillong early next morning

Day 3. Start Early .Complete all sightseeing. Evening Proceed to Guwahati or next morning as per your convenience..

Karikor Kharkongor.

Bongaigaon
8 posts
2. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Oh thank the lord, its you.. Mr Karikor, I was kinda hoping you would reply. First of all thank you very much for replying. Sir, actually I got confused by some information on two sites, I still am a lil confused about the Paragraph bellow.

"4m Shillong 1 cn hire Tourist cabs 4m the Taxi Stand at Police Bazar, Shillong. 1 can also catch the Shuttle Sumos to Sohra from near MAWLONGHAT at Bara Bazaar. They charge Rs.60 per head to Cherrapunjee Market and from there take a taxi to the Resort for just Rs.300/ to Rs.350/. Also, u cn hire one of the Shuttle Sumos to Sohra for Rs.800/ to Rs.900 for a direct non-stop drop to Cherrapunjee Holiday Resort."

Does this mean that if I take a Maxi Cab for rs 70, I`l only reach sohra market. And what is this Rs 300 and 350 for taxi to the resort. Are the resorts very far away from the sohra market.? How far exactly is the Coniferous resort from where the Cabs will drop us.? And How far are the attractions from this resort.?

Also, Sir, could you please tell me the place from where i can get these Maxi cabs and sumo cabs.?

And in the Govt site I only got the rates for Organized Tour Fares in which they will take us to some attractions. But I somewhere feel that it will limit our time that we could spend on each and every attraction. So we`v selected a few attractions near Police Bazar and are willing to take shared cabs. So that we could spend as much time at a place which we like. Please advice.!

In cherrapunjee, we were planning on Walking a lot. Like get up and get out as early as we could. Say we get out by 6am and walk 15-20 Km.Which we usually do here. So, will the Coniferous Resort be convenient with our plans.? Are cabs easily available from the attractions at Cherrapunjee. Just want to soak in all the beauty it has to offer.

Please Advice.

And please accept my apologies, because I still have many queries. But for now i`l let you answer these. I am so very confused about many things right now. And I am starting my trip this Sunday.

Bongaigaon
8 posts
3. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Oh thank the lord, its you.. Mr Karikor, I was kinda hoping you would reply. First of all thank you very much for replying. Sir, actually I got confused by some information on two sites, I still am a lil confused about the Paragraph bellow.

"4m Shillong 1 cn hire Tourist cabs 4m the Taxi Stand at Police Bazar, Shillong. 1 can also catch the Shuttle Sumos to Sohra from near MAWLONGHAT at Bara Bazaar. They charge Rs.60 per head to Cherrapunjee Market and from there take a taxi to the Resort for just Rs.300/ to Rs.350/. Also, u cn hire one of the Shuttle Sumos to Sohra for Rs.800/ to Rs.900 for a direct non-stop drop to Cherrapunjee Holiday Resort."

Does this mean that if I take a Maxi Cab for rs 70, I`l only reach sohra market. And what is this Rs 300 and 350 for taxi to the resort. Are the resorts very far away from the sohra market.? How far exactly is the Coniferous resort from where the Cabs will drop us.? And How far are the attractions from this resort.?

Also, Sir, could you please tell me the place from where i can get these Maxi cabs and sumo cabs.?

And in the Govt site I only got the rates for Organized Tour Fares in which they will take us to some attractions. But I somewhere feel that it will limit our time that we could spend on each and every attraction. So we`v selected a few attractions near Police Bazar and are willing to take shared cabs. So that we could spend as much time at a place which we like. Please advice.!

In cherrapunjee, we were planning on Walking a lot. Like get up and get out as early as we could. Say we get out by 6am and walk 15-20 Km.Which we usually do here. So, will the Coniferous Resort be convenient with our plans.? Are cabs easily available from the attractions at Cherrapunjee. Just want to soak in all the beauty it has to offer.

Please Advice.

And please accept my apologies, because I still have many queries. But for now i`l let you answer these. I am so very confused about many things right now. And I am starting my trip this Sunday.

Bongaigaon
8 posts
4. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Also, I don`t know how to reach Cherrapunjee directly from Guwahati. So please suggest on that.

And which hotel in Cherrapunjee will be better, Eco park Guest house or Coniferous Resort.? Please provide Pros and Cons.

And how to reach the Double Decker Root Bridge.? No trace of it on Google Map.! How much time will the trek consume.? Is the trekking possible on our own or should it be organized by someone else.? What kind of transportation is available to reach This Root Bridge & Cost of transportation.?

Please Reply.

My Sincere Thanks.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
198 reviews
5. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Yes the Maxi Cabs and Sumos are shuttle cabs so they will take you till SOhra Market. The quote you got for is for CHerra Holiday Resort in Laitkynsew which is 20km from Sohra Market. So from Sohra Market you will have to book a local cab to Cherra Holiday Resort. The 350 may be steep for 20 km, but you have no other choice. However I think you are planning to stay in Coniferous Resort which will be about 5-6km from Sohra Market.

Now here is a link which has a map of the SOhra Circuit:

http://megtourism.gov.in/guidemap-sohra.html

The Coniferous Resort will be near Mawsmai Cave.

Maxi Cabs and Shuttle cabs can be found near Anjali Cinema.

By the way, I'm sure Coniferous Resort will arrange a vehicle for you to see all the sites. As for walking you can trek the Double Decker Living Root Bridge in Nongriat near Laitkynsew. You can also try walking from Coniferous Resort to Khoh Ramhah, if you have the stamina. You will cover Khoh Ramhah, Thangkharang Park, Noh Sngi Thiang Falls, Eco Park, Mawsmai Cave in one route.

And please you do not have to apologise, I will be more than glad to answer anymore of your queries.

Karikor Kharkongor.

In Shillong, Sightseeings are fewer than in Cherrapunjee.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
198 reviews
6. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

My Personal advice is spend a little more and stay in Cherra Holiday Resort. But you will have to book in advance. You can ask them to arrange pick up from either Guwahati, or Shillong or Sohra Market depending on you convenience. The trek to the Double Decker Living root bridge starts from Tyrna, which is a few kilometers from Laitkynsew where Cherra Holiday Resort is located Anyway you will have to walk 2-3 hours from Tyrna to reach the Bridges. Anyway no matter if you stay in Cherra Holiday Resort or not, you can always have lunch there and you can ask them to arrange one local guide to take you to the Bridges.

However if rooms are not available in Cherra Holiday Resort, then stick to Coniferous Resort. Many travellers have appreciated the owners who run this little place. Stay away from Eco Park Guest House.

By the way you can also take the chopper from Guwahati to SHillong andback. It takes only 20 mins compared to 3.5 hours road journey and without traffic.

Karikor Kharkongor

Bongaigaon
8 posts
7. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g668046-d24…

tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g668046-d24…

Are They the same places or different..??

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
198 reviews
8. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Yes they are the same.

Please check the following links:

http://megtourism.gov.in/attraction.html

http://megtourism.gov.in/destination.html

Karikor Kharkongor

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
198 reviews
9. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Yes they are the same.

Also please check the following links:

http://megtourism.gov.in/attraction.html

http://megtourism.gov.in/destination.html

Bongaigaon
8 posts
10. Re: Help Plan.Two Night/Three Day Trip to Shillong & Cherrapunee

Thank you Mr Karikor.

Sir, I really liked your plan and I am considering the plan that you suggested. First I am going to sohra-Local sightseeing. Next morning To the double decker root bridge. Then Transfer to shillong in the evening..

But I dont really know how to go to cherrapunjee directly from guwahati.

Should i go to shillong first and then take a cab from near Anjali Cinema To sohra.? Or is there any direct rout.?

will i get cab from sohra to shillong in the evening.?