We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're coming to Southend

England
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
We're coming to Southend

Uncle Den, my dad's younger brother has left this earth and the Midlands and northern segments of the family are coming down for the funeral. It's at 0930 so we need to be in Southend the night before. We've booked two nights at The Premier Inn Eastern Esplanade. I think this is close to Ocean Beach, which is co owned by my cousins son. I have fond memories of Southend, where my dad came from. We used to spend lots of holidays there and when I was about 10 I spent the entire 7 weeks summer holiday being passed around various aunts and uncles. My visits more recently have become less frequent. Last one was a year ago when Den's wife died. I thought SOS had come up in the world.

Anyway I think there is a Brewers Fayre next to the hotel so we can eat there the first night. My brother has stayed at The Roslin Beach Hotel and is going to book us all in for a meal on the second night. We will have the afternoon after the funeral free to mooch about.

If it's nice a walk along the front and a Rossi's will probably suffice

I just wondered if there is anything new to look at you can recommend.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're coming to Southend

If we are doing a history of SoS - in the 30's my grandfather used to take his family to SoS and always stopped at Rossi's. One year they had a power fault which is not a good thing with ice cream. Fortunately my grandfather worked for the electricity board and went a got his tools (I never thought to ask why he took them on holiday) and fixed the meters.

The family got free ice cream for the rest of their stay. Must remind Francis Rossi some time and ask if he can continue the Thank You.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're coming to Southend

Hi trickster, after helping you on the Birmingham forum I now find myself helping you on the Southend forum.

A few years before my mum died my sister used to take her to Southend for a few days from my mums home in London.

AFTER my mum died my sister paid to have a bench put near the end of the long pier with my mums and dads name on it.

So for that reason my family meet up every year in Southend to go and visit the bench.

One of the things we do when we visit is go to a lovely fish restaurant called Fisherman's Wharf which is just to the West of the Pier entrance, right on the sea front.

It is not cheap, but the quality of food is wonderful.

Below is the web site if you fancy a family meal one night. However it does seem quite a walk from the Premier Inn, which seems quite a way to the East of Southend centre.

p.s. It looks like the Brewers Fayre restaurant is actually built in to the Premier Inn hotel, on the ground floor.

www.fishermanswharfsouthend.co.uk/index.html

Essex
Level Contributor
31,525 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're coming to Southend

"Almost" Celebrity Chef, Martin Baumann of Baumann's Brasserie in Coggeshall (that used to be Peter Langan's "country retreat") sold the Brasserie and set up a seafood place in Southend...

Will post the link for that in a mo, i-pad acting up at present...

Essex
Level Contributor
31,525 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're coming to Southend

Well, erm it is Mark Baumann (I knew tat, but slipped up)

The Southend venture is called Bourgee

The Coggeshall restaurant has finally been renamed/reclaimed!!!

England
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're coming to Southend

Thanks Bert.

I don't suppose we will go to the end of the pier this time ( is it still the longest in the world) but if we do we will look for you bench. What's your mums name?. Fishermans looks good. I love fish and sea food. Usually have some shell fish at Leigh when we go. It's all imported I believe. Did you get my pm about Dickens Heath btw.

I also noted we both contributed to the What's Southend Like thread.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,525 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're coming to Southend

Baumann's, Coggeshall, is now - https://ranfieldsbrasserie.co.uk/about/

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're coming to Southend

Still love Rossis but was told that it's not the original family that own it now.

Yes all PIs have a restaurant next to them (well nearly all) and that one is indeed a Chef and Brewer.

Enjoy Roslin,now a really upmarket eatery after a massive renovation some time back!

Essex
Level Contributor
31,525 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're coming to Southend

And Bourgee in SoS is - http://www.bourgeerestaurants.com

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're coming to Southend

I believe it's £4.50 to go to the end of the Pier now! Even walking!!

visitsouthend.co.uk/things-to-do/…

Edited: 12 March 2017, 14:12
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We're coming to Southend

If you like seafood and fish you might like Billy Hundreds restaurant, right on the beach, almost next to Ocean Beach. It's quite small so booking is advised. Beware though, it's a cash only restaurant, but I can really recommend ...

http://www.billyhundreds.com/

Get answers to your questions about Southend-on-Sea