We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

South East England...
Level Contributor
232 posts
60 reviews
Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

Never been before, so need to know best place to park, a nice stroll along the beach, or on the beach if dogs are allowed? A few interesting things to see and do and maybe some where for lunch, fish and chips, pasties, pub lunch?

What would you recommend?

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,733 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

Sorry, dogs are not allowed on the beach

southend.gov.uk/info/…animals_on_the_beach

Essex
Level Contributor
31,733 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

But maybe you will find this helpful

http://www.visitsouthend.co.uk

South East England...
Level Contributor
232 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

That's fine, we can stay on the paths.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

Park on the front under Westcliff Pavilion. The cafes there are all excellent for fish and chips, although at the weekend they can get very busy at lunch time.

That will also give you a nice walk to the pier and back.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
127 reviews
5. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

Second Amos's suggestion.

The cafes are called the Arches,and plenty of parking.

Once having dined you can drive to "East Beach" Shoeburyness ,which is around 3 miles east of Southend.

There is a huge car park on the beach and large area for walking the dog amongst tress and parkland

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

Don't bother visiting Southend if your taking a dog, most places here are unfriendly towards dogs including the pier, fun fair and most pubs and restaurants. Unlike most other uk beach resorts there is no designated area for dogs, instead they are banned from all beaches maintained by Southend Borough council. I would recommend a trip to Brighton in the South or Skegness in the East, both I've found to be dog friendly and welcoming.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
127 reviews
7. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

This post is a year old! They have been and gone by now

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

taurean_traveller122, Thanks I'm aware it's from a year ago but hopefully it will be useful for anyone else planning a visit to Southend now or in the future

Edited: 20 July 2017, 08:20
Elham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
9. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

We've just returned from a frustrating morning at Southend with our dog. We were disappointed to discover that dogs aren't allowed on the beach from April to September, nor are they allowed on the pier, which was the whole reason for our visit. We did find a lovely dog friendly cafe called "Dog & Co" on the seafront which saved the day. If you haven't already been, check it out. Thoroughly recommended.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,733 posts
69 reviews
10. Re: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.

But back in 2016 it was made clear that dogs are not allowed on the beach.

Did you not research ahead of time?

I do seem to remember, as a child (so 30-40 years ago, taking our dog on the Pier. Having an interesting time watching him negotiate 'the open boards' on that with the trains passing by) so I am sorry that they are no longer allowed on the Pier, I think that is a bit of a shame.

Still, we used to buy him a Rossi cone and everyone would get great entertainment watching him eat tha

I do think it is a shame, these days, that there are not more 'dog friendly' places. When we had the dog, we could take him almost anywhere. However, having had a friend nearly blinded by Toxocara, that is passed in dog faeces, and knowing that many people do not pick up after their dogs, even in this day and age, it is not really a surprise, is it?

And who knows what the dogs are bringing in to the country as a result of the Pet Travel Scheme? Already there are nasty brown ticks to be found in certain areas, and many 'rescue' dogs, imported from Romania and other ex eastern bloc countries, that have leishmania, Erlicha and other incurable and zoonotic diseases......

Reply to: Day out in Southend with family and a dog.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southend-on-Sea