We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Straight Mile, Burnley, access

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Straight Mile, Burnley, access

We are planning to go to Burnley for the day and are interested in seeing the Straight Mile. Can anyone advise if this can be accessed and exited at Finsley Gate, Yorkshire St and Ormerod Road by Thompson Park please? Alternatively, any other suggestions.

Also, which sections of the Straight Mile offer the most interesting views? We will be travelling between Burnley Manchester Road and Thompson Park. Thank you for your help.

6 replies to this topic
lancs
Level Contributor
256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Straight Mile, Burnley, access

Yes, you can get on at Finsley Gate and get off at Ormerod road, the view will be of some rooftops, the football ground when you walk over Yorkshire street and Pendle hill, when you get off at Ormerod road you will be at the entrance of Thompson park, 5 mins walk is a Brewers Fayre the Queen Victoria that,s if you are into that sort of food, what day will you be visiting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Straight Mile, Burnley, access

It will be on a Sunday. Am I correct in assuming we cannot gain access/exit via Yorkshire Street.

Would it be around a 20 minute walk from Finsley Gate to Ormerod Rd?

Many thanks.

lancs
Level Contributor
256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Straight Mile, Burnley, access

No, the canal at Yorkshire street is an aqueduct and there,s no way down at each side, there is a path that goes into Tescos car park before you get to Yorkshire st walking from Finsley gate, it would take about 20/25 mins to walk to Ormerod rd, are you coming from Manchester rd train station will and you be looking for somewhere to eat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Straight Mile, Burnley, access

We will be coming from Manchester Rd, but will not need anywhere to eat. How would you rate the walk along the Straight Mile. Is it worth doing? Thanks for your help.

Burnley
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Straight Mile, Burnley, access

Hi, myself and my partner enjoy walks along the canal in and around Burnley, and find them interesting, particularly because of the industrial history of the area. You could perhaps incorporate a visit to the Weavers Triangle visitor centre on Manchester Road (can be accessed from the towpath)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Straight Mile, Burnley, access

Thank you for your reply. I had planned to incorporate the Weavers' Triangle and had not realised it could be accessed with a longer walk after the Straight Mile, so thanks for that.

Best regards.

Reply to: Straight Mile, Burnley, access
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burnley
Recent Conversations