We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

We are planning to hire a car and drive from Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport on 19 Sept (Monday) to catch our flight. Our flight is 5:30pm. Travel time I gathered is about 3 hours.

We are not familiar with traffic on a Monday afternoon when we expect to arrive in London between 2:00-2:30pm.

We are thinking of dropping off the car before reaching London proper and then take the train to the airport. To avoid traffic if there is. Is this a good idea? or just continue with the car?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
8 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

Gatwick (sp) is on the other side of London so it makes no sense to drop the car off anywhere but the airport. I would give at least 4 hours for this to build in contingency. You need to be at the airport around 14:00 or earlier depending on where you are flying to drop the car off etc.

You might also consider taking the train via Derby and London St. Pancras

Edited: 15 August 2016, 00:38
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,785 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

If you only want the rental car for this journey, don't bother. The train takes essentially the same time, doesn't involve the busiest motorway in Europe and deposits you in the airport centre not some rental compound you need find and then be shuttled from and for which you might be charged a "one way supplement".

Edited: 15 August 2016, 02:17
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

Don't hire a car just for this.

Take a train to Derby, train from Derby to London St Pancras International, then the regular Thameslink trains from St Pancras International to Gatwick Airport.

If you get the 10.19 from Burton-on-Trent you will get into Gatwick Airport for 14.01. Advance singles for this journey are currently £32.50 if you book now.

www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

Three hours driving time if the motorways are running freely. They won't be - it will take longer. Very tedious journey by road.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

Thanks guys for your feedback.

We have decided to take the train. I guess we will be more relaxed on a train, rather than by driving through uncharted territory.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

If you had already rented a car for your holiday it might be worth driving to LGW and dropping it off there, but I agree it;s not worth hiring a vehicle purely to get from Burton upon Trent to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Burton upon Trent
Burton upon Trent
Staffordshire, UK
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

You've made the best decision by far. The drive is probably the worst route in Britain for holdups etc & is so unpredictable. it is at least a 3 hour drive & could easily take all day if there's even a minor accident. If it was an overnight journey then maybe go for it but definitely not on a Monday morning.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
495 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport

Yes to train. Definitely no to the car. Be aware that there are currently problems with industrial action (strikes etc) that may impact on the availability of some specific trains from St Pancras to Gatwick. I experienced this recently. My advice is to buy a dated/ times ticket from Burton to St Pancas. (This route isn't affected by the industrial action). I would advise that you buy a flexible time, dated train ticket from St Pancras to Gatwick. This will also give you the advantage of knowing that if the St Pancras train is delayed you won't miss your connection to Gatwick. The St Pancras - Gatwick trains are usually quite frequent although timetables are slightly shambolic at present. The direct trains take around 1 hour.

Reply to: Travel From Burton on Trent to Gathwick Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burton upon Trent