We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

new york
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

I will be taking a roadtrip from Long Island to Sandusky, Clevland and Canton Ohio. We are two adults with two teenagers and plan on going to Cleveland for the zoo and rock and roll hall of fame, Canton for the profootball hall of fame and ending at Cedar Point Sandusky Ohio.

We want to go to Cedar Point amusement park, Soak City and perhaps the Ghostly Manor. I was looking for tips on how to get discount tickets and reasonable hotels and any other advice of what to do. We are leaving august 15th and returning on august 19th 2011. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

Wow, that's an ambitious 5 days! Does that mean you will travel on the 15th, and travel on the 19th? The drive from LI to NE Ohio will take 10-12 hours. That only leaves you 3 days to do all those things!

Do you have a price range for hotels?

Are you dead set on doing Soak City, Ghostly Manor and the zoo?

If I were coming from your way, I would probably hit Cleveland first, do the zoo and Rock Hall the first day after your travels. Then I would go to Canton the next day, and then drive to Sandusky and do the Starlight tickets (after 5) for CP. Then I would go to Cedar Point for the next day, and skip Soak City (it's an added charge for admission, plus its just your standard water park). CP really deserves 2 full days, but an evening and a full day will do. Then you can head out back to NY on the last day.

new york
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

Thanks for all of that. Yes we are pushing it with the timetable but this is a shared custody situation. We are not big roller coaster people so we hope that half day at the cedar park would be enough. I was wondering if you knew if the later day starlight at the water park would be too cold to do. Do you know how late the zoo is open even after it closes at 5. What time will we be kicked out? I also heard that a lot of time is needed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I also read that only two hours is enough to spend at the ProFootBall Hall of Fall. Is the Ghostly Manor any good incase it rains? How are the x3d theaters there? I am just trying to provide fun options for a quick trip. Thanks for any advice.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

Well, I've never personally been to the Rock Hall, but I've never heard that it takes all day. I would think that a solid 4 hours would do it. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that one. 2-3 hours at the Pro Football HoF is about right. We'e been to the Cleveland zoo, but never stayed until closing. I will say that it is a great zoo with some amazing exhibits, but it is still just a zoo. I would call and ask them about staying after 5.

If you aren't big coaster fans, then yes, a half day is fine for CP. Some other suggestions for a rainy day (aside from Ghostly Manor) would be Kalahari indoor waterpark. It's huge, and amazing, and if you like to swim and do fun water thrill rides, this is THE place. It has indoor and outdoor parks as well.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

If you are an immense rock fan, and sit through all the movies, you can spend a full day at the Rock Hall. If you aren't rock fans, and just want to see it, a half day is plenty.

Read the reviews at Cleveland "Things to Do" and you'll get a better idea of how much time you need.

The U.S.S. Cod is a 10-minute walk east of the Rock Hall, takes about one hour, and is a highly acclaimed attraction by TA reviewers. It's the only remaining unmodified U.S. WWII fleet submarine. Visitors enter and exit through the original hatches and ladders, just as the members of the "silent service" did over a half century ago, and can imagine the experience of WWII underwater combat.

The Steamship Mather, docked next to the Rock Hall, also amazes most visitors. It's the retired flagship of an ore carrier fleet, over two football fields in length.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamship_William_G._Mat…

Also, while in Canton, you're a short distance from the Holmes County Amish country, the center of the largest Amish population in the country.

The Cleveland zoo will take four hours at a minimum. In the summer, save the excellent Rainforest exhibit and other enclosed buildings for the mid-day heat. Animals in the outdoor exhibits, with the apparent exception of the African elephants based on reports, will be more active in the morning or later afternoon.

A one-day visit to Cedar Point is a risk given weather and even mechanical concerns. Even if the weather is perfect and lines relatively short, coaster enthusiasts likely would be disappointed with a single day in the park.

Also, check out Presque Isle and the Waldameer amusement park, just west of Erie, PA. In August, Presque Isle offers one of the very best freshwater swimming experiences on Lake Erie, where the water temperature can get well above 70 degrees in August.

You're journey could benefit from extra days. Just visiting what you have on the plate will be extremely rushed and tiring, and involve long drives.

Reportedly you can buy discounted Cedar Point tickets online if you are AAA members.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

There are other threads on here that mention places you can get discount CP tickets.

I almost wonder if it's even worth going to CP for the original poster if they aren't huge coaster fans. Don't get me wrong, the smaller coasters and other thrill rides are great, but they aren't much different than what you'd find at someplace closer to their home, like Hershey Park.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

If the OP's family doesn't like coasters, I would agree that not heading further west than Cleveland would make the trip more manageable and probably more enjoyable.

Apart from locals with season passes, I've never heard of anyone going to Cedar Point for half a day. What does it take to just walk the circumference of the park and leisurely soak in the sights and atmosphere -- two hours? And how much time would be spent in Soak City? Aren't there excellent water parks closer to Long Island?

As mentioned earlier, if the OP is coming on I-80, they could take I-79 to Erie and instead check out Presque Isle and Waldameer. They would experience better beaches and not have to pay for admission to a much smaller but still fun amusement park. Visitors to Waldameer don't pay admission, just for rides. Waldameer does have one world-class coaster and a water park. Of course, why go west for an amusement or water park unless you want to experience unique coasters in a beautiful coastal Great Lakes setting? Swimming in Lake Erie's sweet water during its August warmth is something more unique!

Either coming or going, the OP could go to Canton for the football HOF before returning to I-80 for the rest of the journey.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
491 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

How did your trip go? I did not agree with all of the posts here. Maybe you could let us know what you did and what you would advise to others. Many people do the same thing.

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

Wow - that's a lot to fit in.

On our road trip (we are coaster lovers by the way) we budgeted two days for Cedar Point. Surprisingly we managed everything in the first day (we found very little in the way of queues for a lot of rides) but still went back for seconds!

I honestly can't imagine going to Cedar Point and not going on the coasters - it has an excellent collection. Doesn't have the BEST coaster of our road trip (that was El Toro at Six Flags in New Jersey) but, in my opinion, it's probably my favourite theme park that I've been to (counting parks in England, Spain, America, Australia and the UAE).

9. Re: roadtrip from long island ny to cedar point sandusky ohio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 01:17