We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

I'm visiting OKC at the end of October. I'm convinced that I have to find a great Mexican restaurant one night and some great BBQ the other, so I'm looking for any suggestions.

I'm not particularly concerned about cost or convenience, just great food.

Any suggestions?

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

Any idea where you will be staying while here? I'm sure you will get as many different ideas as you will people answering and it may help if people know about where you will be located. Some of the places I can think of can be a quite a trip from some areas of OKC to where the restaurant is located.

:)

Preliminary suggestions for Mexican:

Bandolero's 5714 S Shields Ph.: 601-0422

Ted's Escondido gets great reviews (several locations)

http://tedscafe.com/

BBQ: Leo's 3631 N. Kelly Ph. 405-424-5367

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

We're staying in Bricktown, but I'm willing to take a cab somewhere out of the way if necessary. Who knows when I'll be back, right??

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
133 reviews
3. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

Bricktown:

Earl's BBQ - they are a local restaurant with several locations. I have never had truly bad BBQ, and Earl's, while not the best, is actually pretty good, although it's not what most people would consider 'authetic' BBQ Joint Atmosphere. :)

Celino's Mexican - I like Chelino's, but I know a lot of people that don't care for it. Once again, a local restaurant with several locations around town. Their Bricktown location is right on the canal and has outdoor seating (if the weather isn't too bad.)

Abuelo's - Not your typical Tex Mex. National chain, but since it's different I like it.

And, even though you didn't ask for this type of food, stop in at Falcone's for a slice of pizza at lunch or for a late night snack. IMO, best pizza in OKC. (But I'm partial to NYC style pizza and this is spot on!)

:)

All of the above are located in Bricktown (http://www.bricktownokc.com/)

I'm sure there will be more suggestions (and possibly suggestions to not try the places I've listed. lol)

Enjoy your stay in our wonderful city.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
758 posts
4. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

A new restaurant which I'm eager to try opened recently in Midtown.

The name is 1492 New World Latin Cuisine. According to what I"ve read in the Oklahoma City paper, it sounds quite promising.

It bills itself as fusion Latin American and Mexican.

"tacos and enchiladas, southern Mexican fish dishes, steaks, chicken, duck breast tortillas..."

1492okc.com for menus and more information.

I'll post separately for reviews.

Welcome to OKC!

United States
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

My gf is from OKC and she says that Ted's Mexican Restaurant on NW 68th Street is a good choice. Earl's Rib Palace and County Line are awesome BBQ joints in the North of OKC. Hope that helps.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
6. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

7. Re: Mexican and BBQ - OKC's best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City