We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

We're planning on visiting Florence over the summer for a few days. We want to stay in a yurt and we found Honeyman and Carl Washburne State Parks fit the bill. My question is which to choose. We're two 20-30 somethings with no kids and like to just relax after a day of hiking. Price doesn't matter, as I think both yurts are the same in cost. Anyone have a preference?

Your suggestions/comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Barrie

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,362 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

Dengay can tell you exactly what each of the parks is like :-) Neither have an ocean view, however.

Edited: 25 January 2010, 14:36
seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

What's Dengay? I read up on the parks already. What I'd like to know is personal experience from the likes of you wise folks.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

Dengay is a who, not a what. He has a lifetime of experience on the coast and, particularly, in the state park system. He'll come along in a bit, I'm sure.

I'm familiar with both parks, although I haven't camped in them. Honeyman is closer to town (Florence) and the activities of Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. It offers swimming in a lagoon and sand surfing on the surrounding dunes. It's a pretty good hike over the dunes to get from the campground to the ocean.

Washburne is more isolated. Campground is on the inland side of the highway. The beach is just on the other side of the highway and offers miles of surf and sand. A great loop hike goes about a mile or so south on the surf to Heceta Head, up the Hobbit Trail, across the hwy into the forest and back to the campground, with an optional extra China Creek loop trail. All in all it'sabout a 5 mile hike offering the best of forest and surf. Another option off that trail is at the top of the Hobbit Trail to continue up to Heceta Head Lighthouse for great ocean views. That's a little more difficult a trail, but not that bad. Take your time and you can combine all options.

This is one of my favorite hikes and, in fact, I'm leading a hike there in a few weeks for the Obsidians.

If you're into hiking and decide to stay at Honeyman, you'll find another great hike about 15 miles or so south of there at Tahkenitch Dunes State Park. It also combines forest with surf, but adds a few nice dunes for good measure and an overlook of Three Mile Lake. You can often find bear prints on the trail.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

Yeah, Den can cover the specifics, but differences in services aside, Carl Washburne and its 60 or so campsites has a lot more appeal to me than Honeyman, which has over 400. I like the location of Carl Washburne better, too; basically next door to Haceta Head, and just down the road (8-10 miles) from the spectacular scenery of Cape Perpetua. Regardless of which you choose, you'll have to drive to a town.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,362 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

Thought you had been reading the forums here, barliss, didn't mean to startle you!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,082 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

oregonpoppa and misteltoe pretty well covered the difference between the two. Jessie M. Honeyman is HUGE (384 campsites-10 Yurts), Carl G. Washburne has 56 sites, 6 walk-in campsites and two Yurts. Washburne, therefore, is MUCH quieter. It's just a short walk either across the hwy or the trail under the hwy to a GREAT, long and wide beach. Honeyman is two miles from the ocean, but there are three freshwater lates within it's boundry, with Cleawox offering boat and kayak rentals and a gift store.

Honeyman will be filled to the gunnels with kids, whereas Washburne caters to a bit of an older crowd....a crowd that likes quiet and a park close to the ocean yet out of the persistant north winds.

Not to confuse you even more, but another option might be Beachiside, just north of Yachats and just 12 miles north of Washburne. There are two Yurts there also and they are just steps from another GREAT beach.

seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

that's what i figured the differences were but i just wanted to check with you bright folks. we just got our yurt at washburne! weeee!

thanks,

barrie

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. You'll be close enough to Yachats and Cape Perpetua to take advantage of their offerings. Heceta Head Lighthouse is definitely worth your visit. You might want to skip the Sea Lin Caves since you can look over the side of the cliff there or at the Heceta Head viewpoint on Hwy 101 just south of there (most popular photo op along the coast). Also, take a few minutes on the way to or from Florence to see the Darlingtonia Botanical Garden, home of the most unusual cobra lillies. It's well marked on the hwy and is just a few feet off the hwy. Ten minutes is all it takes.

Be sure to hike all the way south on the beach to Heceta Head, but check your tide tables since the ocean can roll all the way up to the bluffs at times and trap you. At low tide, tidepools in the exposed rocks are delightful and Heceta Head itself offers fascinating botanical and sealife on its face. Hobbit trail is nearly to Heceta Head (which is as far as south as you can go on the beach). Also, look for sand dollars as you approach the Hobbit Trail. Finding whole sand dollars on Oregon beaches can be difficult, but this area often has them in great numbers.

9. Re: Honeyman or Carl Washburne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 00:16