We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Must Do's?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Must Do's?

I will be doing a loop from Northern CA to Bend, spending the night there, cutting across the state to Florence for another overnight stop and then down the Oregon Coast going south back down to California making Crescent City the overnight stop. What are the Must see and do's along this route? I am a photographer and looking for great beach shots, bridges and cute little towns along the way with personality and history. In addition, would this be a good time for whale watching? and if so, any specific locations.

I am also a National Park junkie and thinking of swinging in to Oregon Caves NM but am unsure if that should be a trip on it's own.

Thank you in advance for your tips and advice!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

With only one-night stopovers, you'll be spending a large part of each day driving. Hopefully, you'll be doing this trip during the summer, when the days are long. As a photographer you'll appreciate how light changes during the day. You will have to consider where you'll be morning, noon and at sundown...and you won't have the liberty of staying anywhere for a full day to await the optimal lighting moment for your subjects. Indeed, weather could even eliminate some of your prime subjects (such as coastal fog completely obscuring lighthouses and coastline landscapes).

A good time for whale spotting is when you spot them. Again, when are you coming on your trip?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

Must see sights from Florence, south:

Since you mentioned bridges, Conde B. McCullough was a famous bridge engineer here in Oregon in the teens and into the 30's. He designed most of the older spans along highway 101. Beginning at Florence, the Siuslaw River Bridge, the Umpqua River Bridge at Reedsport, the Conde B McCullogh Bridge at North Bend and the Issac Lee Patterson Bridge at Gold Beach are the ones you will see going south.

As for other sights, I'd start with the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area that stretches from Florence to North Bend. There are MANY places to stop along the way.

Next would be Sunset Bay and Shore Acres State Parks, as well as Cape Arago Lighthouse about 10 miles SW of Coos Bay.

The Coquille River Lighthouse just north of Bandon at Bullards Beach State Park, though you can get some REALLY neat photos from old-town Bandon.

From Port Orford south to the California border are the famous Oregon Sea Stacks, off shore rocks that really add to the ruggedness of the coast. Some of the best vantage points can be had from many of the several pull-offs along the 12 mile long Samual Boardman State Scenic Corridor between Gold Beach and Brookings.

I have other favorites, but I think t hese are some of the highlights that shouldn't be missed.

Happy travels!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

Can you add any more time to your trip? Most often, great shots take time to plan :-) There are literally hundreds and hundreds of places to photograph along your route - interesting, scenic places.

Have you ever seen a shoe tree? Near Bend... tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

A great old RR bridge near Bend is this one... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g28958-d15…

I'll add the Mary D hume in Gold Beach... tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51887-d1911689/Gold-…

Crescent City through to the redwoods, Trinidad, Ferndale, the Lost Coast drive . . . there are more hundreds of places to photograph.

"Cute little towns"? Florence part of old town, Winchester Bay marina area, Bandon old town. You're missing Yachats, which is very scenic and yes, "cute".

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

Thank you sooooo much! I have more then enough information! I'm coming up next week! I know it's planned to be "quick" but we could probably extend somewhere along the way if we have too. Plus I don't believe in sleeping much on road trips/vacations!

Half-Brit thank you for the information on Bend. No, I have never seen a shoe tree! I have no idea what that even is but I will find one! I did go through the boards prior to posting and will definitely go to Yachats based on another threat I read earlier also.

Dengay, thank you for all the great info on bridges - I think you mapped out my itinerary! I will write up a trip report on this road trip!

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

half-Brit - I'm going to have to read through more of your reviews since I'm very impressed with the Shoe Tree and the scenic viewpoint you listed. Are the waterfalls running right now? I love the waterfalls in Oregon. I have not been to the Columbia River Gorge yet but I fell in love with all the waterfalls and the entire Umpqua River Road. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been too!

Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

one last thing. I love Oregon Caves and if you see it. You need more time with this venture.

the road up to the caves is long and twisty. The temperture dips up there as well as in the caves. Feels splendid in the heat of the day but it is cold during the rest of the year. Explore this area when you have time to travel up, enjoy the trek thru the cave and then drive all the way down- or spend the night at the rustic lodge.

Have a great time.

7. Re: Oregon Coast Must Do's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 01:15