We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most economical way to Florence

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Most economical way to Florence

I am flying into Portland, Oregon from Honolulu, Hawaii. How do I get to Florence, without rentlng a car. Is there a shuttle or do I hop on a smaller airplane to Eugene or Newport, then shuttle to Florence?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,418 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most economical way to Florence

Florence is located about 3.5 hours from Portland airport. There is no shuttle.

There is an airport in Eugene that handles jets, but to my knowledge there is no public transportation from Eugene to Florence.

There are small airplanes that fly from PDX to Newport, but again as far as I know there is no public transportation from Newport to Florence.

Is there a reason you cannot rent a car?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most economical way to Florence

Porter Stage Line (PSL) runs a daily shuttle bus from Coos Bay to Eugene, stopping in Florence along the way. You might give them a call and see if their schedule will work for you.

merchantcircle.com/business/Porter.Stage.Lin…

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most economical way to Florence

We are attending a wedding. I'll check PDX to Newport, then see if there is a shuttle there, or rent a car in Newport.

Thanks.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most economical way to Florence

http://www.kokkola-bus.com/PSLSchedule.html

Here's the schedule for Porter Stage Line, but you would have to call them to get some specifics...like where the Eugene pickup spot is. Unless it's at the airport, your connections through Eugene would only become more complicated and expensive, since there is no public transportationn to/from the airport. And connecting by air thru Eugene would run up your tab tremendously.

City2City runs a shuttle from PDX to Eugene and a call to them might reveal whether they know of any service to Florence (or what they might charge to provide one). Their number is 1 (866)999-8001.

As was noted, there is no public transportation between Eugene and Florence. Without a car, you might even have a problem getting around Florence itself.

You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and time by simply renting a car at PDX.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,418 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most economical way to Florence

The small plane flights from PDX to Newport are not cheap. You'd be money ahead renting a car. Check the prices for renting in downtown Portland - you can take the MAX train to downtown for about $3 from the airport and then you wouldn't pay airport taxes on a car rental. There are several of the majors with downtown offices.

6. Re: Most economical way to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 11:17