We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.

Kearns, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.

Hi! My wife and I will be visiting Gold Beach next week. We will be staying in an AirBnb house very close to the town, that supposedly has great views of the ocean from the property. She is partially disabled, meaning that she can walk a little, but not far or on steep trails. She has a wheelchair that I can push her in to different viewing locations etc. So what I'd like to know is any suggestions for viewpoints or even accessible beaches, and also any other interesting things in the area that she might be able to do. Thanks,

4 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.

Almost all Oregon coast beaches are easily accessible. I hope you asked good questions about accessibility at your lodging. "Ocean view" could mean a mile away. "Ocean front" could mean on a cliff or rocks. "Beach access" could be down steep stairs or trail or a block or two away.

The major attraction in Gold Beach is the jetboat trips into the Rogue River Wilderness. These are half and full day tours and I think are OK for you. Getting on and off, especialy at upriver lunch restaurants, should be asked about.

Kearns, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure access to the beach from our lodging isn't possible, but the pictures indicated that there are chairs in the yard from which you can sit and view the ocean. I will investigate the Rogue River boating further. I appreciate your thoughts.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,418 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.

On the south side of the river, there is a road that goes out to the mouth of the river. I think it's called Harbor Road, or something similar. It goes past Jerry's Jet Boats, Norwester Restaurant and heads toward the airport. Turn on Oceanside Dr. and follow it out to the end. You can drive along it to the south, almost to the fairgrounds. There is no bluff (it's level) and may be some access points that will be easy for your wife to reach the beach if she wants to.

On the north side of the river, the Wedderburn Loop winds around with some nice views. You can drive out to the north jetty but I'm not sure how smooth the road is.

Also, on the south end of town, there is the Gold Beach visitors center. It's level with a parking lot almost on the beach - you drive down the short hill to the lot. I can't remember if the path to the beach is paved/hard surface or not.

If the jet boats don't work out for you, you can drive on a paved road up to Agness. At the Jerry's office there is a pleasant, free museum that is worth a look if you like museums :-)

Kearns, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.

Thanks! That is very helpful.

Reply to: Accessible beaches and things to see for someone disabled.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted