We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Rogue Riber

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
driving to Rogue Riber

is the road between Gold Beach and Galice a dirt forest service road? Wondering if one can safety drive to Rogue River without having to go all the way north to Roseburg or South to Brookings.

8 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
1 review
1. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

It's called bear camp road...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Camp_Road

You need to have paper maps and can navigate with out a GPS

Reason thus route has a bunch of logging toads on it.

This is the road that cause nationsl news with a lost family snd search and rescue for James Kim. After about 7 days of searching they found the wife and kids near their car in snow but the father died trying to hike out.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

well we are planning on a July trip so snow is not an option. However, it seems the road is too rough.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
151 reviews
3. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

Hi Dusty,

This road is primarily used by hunters, loggers,miners & other rugged out door types that are prepared to spend a night or 2 in the wilderness if bad luck strikes. July should not pose a problem but at least a front wheel drive and preferably a 4x4 would be the travel vehicle of choice. You may want to google & read the article Dan P mentioned in the post above, as it will give you some insight to the type of country you will be visiting. If you are seeking adventure this route will accomidate that desire.

Good luck

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
4. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

Just to clarify, are you looking to go to the town of Rogue River...or someplace ON the Rogue River? If it's the town, you would probably be better off taking the 101 south to the 199 to Grants Pass. It would be faster and also give you a chance to see some of the redwoods.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,571 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

Hi DustyDog w. My husband and I have *personally driven* this road fairly recently. I can give you accurate, current information about it :-)

First, the entire road is *paved*.

That's right, completely paved! In some places the pavement is a bit rough, and when we drove it there were a couple of short gravel patches, but there is absolutely no need for a 4x4. You can easily drive this in a standard passenger car.

In July, you won't have any trouble at all with the road. The only thing you'll need to watch out for is traffic! Well, not quite like Omaha traffic LOL, but there are a surprising number cars along this road. You will not be the only car for miles around. We did not see any log trucks on a weekday. None. I doubt there is any logging through there since most of it is official "wilderness". (Once you get around Merlin, you may see some)

There is no cell phone service and of course no food, fuel, etc.

Even being completely paved, it is quite slow as there are *lots* of curves. It took us about 3 hours to get from Gold Beach to Galice, with a brief stop in Agness and a couple of short stops along the way. From Galice to the town of Rogue River, add about another half hour or so.

There are some great views and it's not a bad drive at all. Just allow enough time!

Regarding the Kim family, they drove it at night, in the dead of winter with snow falling. They took a wrong turn, got off the main road, and sadly did everything wrong.

Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

Hey Ho DustyDog w

I have driven the road several times. It is designated Forest Service Route 33/23.which might assist you in any research on maps.

My memory of the road about 25 years ago is similar to the description of the first two posters. Things do change even here in backwards Oregon.The description rendered by Half-Brit accurately describes the road as it is today. It is a fairly modern road, all of it is paved and most of it is comfortably wide. You would have no problem driving even a sports car over the road now.

AS Half-Brit noted, the only hazard in the summer is the traffic and that is only a hazard if encountered on one of the infrequent narrow stretches. Even then there is adequate room if both vehicles use a bit of caution. The only other hazard are the pickup trucks and trailers that transport the river rafts in the spring and the fall. You should not encounter much of that in the middle of the summer.

It is a pleasant drive and has occasional spectacular views of ravines and valleys. In my opinion it is well worth the time. Actually the time across the mountain on this road from Gold Beach to Merlin then to Rogue River is somewhat less than the time it would take to travel from God Beach to Crescent City on Highway 101 then to Grants Pass via Highway 199. and then to Rogue River.

I assume you are referring to the town of Rogue River, but it doesn't make much difference. The town is not far from the point that you encounter the river on Interstate 5.

So! Have no fear, the road from Gold Beach to Merlin via Galice is a good road and a good choice in the summer..

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,430 posts
142 reviews
7. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

The town is on the river. Near Grants Pass.

Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: driving to Rogue Riber

Well, yeah!

Reply to: driving to Rogue Riber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted