We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite hikes around Hood River?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite hikes around Hood River?

We will be in Hood River for 4 nights visiting our daughter who lives there. We will then be traveling onto Glacier National Park and Grand Tetons National Park. We want to do a couple warm up hikes to get us in the groove for our longer Glacier hikes. Can anyone recommend a couple good half day hikes in the Hood River area? Preferably within about an hours drive from Hood River? We love beautiful scenery and views. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

Tamanawas is a short easy hike with a wonderful waterfall to have a picnic near. Look at www.nwhiker.com and check by name it will even show you pictures,k not to give it away because each day is different,.(hard to pronounce these Native Avmerivan names, *Thom-Ahn-ahh-whaan-us* is how it is pronounced.)

Lost Lake has trails and can be reached by going through Hood River. It's one of the most photographed lakes in this area. Each time a pro comes into Multnomah Falls carrying lots of camera equipment, I can anticipate his question. "How do I get to Lost Lake.?" (through Hood River.)

Cascade Locks is close and has trail heads. Dry Lake Falls is in the part of Cascade Locks near the Steel Bridge of the Gods. Moderate 8 mile hike. Up for it?

I hope you hike up Multnomah Falls It's the only year round running waterfall in our area.

Oneonta *own-eww-on-tah* is a really fun short easy hike if yo don't mind walking through water. Near Multnomah Falls if you take the Dodson exit to MF.

Is that enough to get you started?

MrsO

Edited: 14 July 2012, 13:31
Mentioned in this post
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
2,670 Reviews
Bridal Veil, OR
Bridge of the Gods
Bridge of the Gods
348 Reviews
Cascade Locks, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

Thom-ahn-ah-wus is the correct way to pronounce. Sorry, I was so tired last night.

MrsO

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

Ramona Falls is a good. moderate hike that runs along the Sandy River for awhile. Timberline Lodge has trails.

Mentioned in this post
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
1,141 Reviews
Timberline Lodge, OR
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

Thanks. I have seen photos of Lost Lake. Will check that out. What about the Washington side across the bridge from Hood River? I have heard about Dog Mountain. Any experience with that?

Mentioned in this post
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

It's a difficult 7 mi+ hike but beautiful views of the Columbia Gorge. I am not into hard hikes. Mtngrl may have better information on the hike itself. You can see it on nwhiker by going to the Washington pages.

For kicks you might enjoy the switchbacks of Beacon Rock. An extinct volcano near Bonneville Dam on the Washington side, it is historic. It was owned by a Washington man who didn't want it to go the way of a freeway so he offered it to WA. Parks. They refused the offer so he offered it to Oregon. Well, we were all over that. But when Washington heard they kind of... Hey, that's in Washington!

So it's now a Washington Park. Unbelievably beautiful views.

They both take passes to park.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia Gorge Hotel
Columbia Gorge Hotel
862 Reviews
Hood River, OR
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,291 Reviews
Portland, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

Thanks for the info on Beacon Rock. I will check it out. Not too worried about a 7 mile hike, as we have some planned in Glacier Nat. Park that are longer than that so it would help us in our conditioning! Thanks again!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

In nwhiker look up Tom Dick and Harry mountain and Mirror Lake. It's a pretty popular hike.

8. Re: Favorite hikes around Hood River?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Hood River
;