We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaverton or Tigard?

2 posts
Beaverton or Tigard?

Hey all! im also doing research! Headed to Portland for the first time, planning to travel to Cannon beach & Seattle so we are on a budget. Booking sites have shown we good options in both Beaverton and Tigard. What would you all recommend or chose? Thanks! any restaurants and fun activities that we must do would be very helpful also :)

(early 30s couple celebrating our anniversary)

Thanks!

Carolina from Miami, FL

20 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
39,527 posts
1,021 reviews
1. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

I would try to stay on Portland, what is your nightly budget? 🌹

2 posts
2. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

No more than $120 per night. at that rate the hotels in Portland seem rough. we are renting a car so would comprise staying a little further for a decent nights sleep. but we've never been so I could be wrong, going be google research, reading reviews, etc.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
1 review
3. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

welcome,

both are in the "burbs" and traffic, depending on the day/time, may suck. Our traffic maybe a cakewalk compared to where you live.

Beaverton would be easier to get to Hwy 26 to the beach. Getting into Portland you would be better off with the max if you can. Tigard is south of Portland and can be a slow journey too.

is there anything available in N/NE Portland?

If youre set on anything, i would look at Beaverton, but traffic there can be a PIA too.

good luck.

Level Contributor
39,527 posts
1,021 reviews
4. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

Have a look at Inn @ Northrup Station, they offer specials on their website. 🌹

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
433 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

Beaverton has easy access to the MAX (light rail), Tigard does not.

We don't find the traffic to be any more congested in Beaverton than it is in the rest of the west-side metro area (Portland west of the river, Tigard, Hillsboro, Tualatin, King City, Wilsonville, etc.)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

Both towns are a mess of suburban sprawl, and neither really has a downtown to speak of. Which probably doesn’t matter much to you, because I’d guess the hotels/motels you’re looking at are either along hwy 26 if listed in Beaverton, or near Washington Square Mall, if listed in Tigard. Either location would require a drive to the nearest MAX park-and-ride, there’s a transit center for buses at Washington Square. On the other hand, if you’re planning to drive into Portland, both are convenient to major arterials to get you into town.

Tell us a little more about your plans, including when you’re coming, and we can be more helpful. For your part, syrahgirl, perhaps you could post the dates you found Inn at Northrup Station to have rooms under $120/night. I checked the dead of winter and best I could find was $149.

Edited: 03 October 2018, 15:48
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

if you are flying into town an inexpensive hotel is the ramada at the airport -- as with beaverton or tigard you will have to contend with traffic to where you plan to travel --- when are you planning to travel and do you have any specific sites in mind that you would like to visit

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

I echo the suggestion of an airport hotel. There are many out there with better rates. The MAX line runs out there too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
1 review
9. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

I don't see anything wrong with Beaverton as a 2nd option to central Portland. Lots of good places to eat, plenty of good Korean (I like Nakwon) restaurants in particular and now a food cart pod with 31 food carts with a "Speakeasy Bar". There's a Mexican ice cream shop (Ome Calle) with all kinds of ice cream and a concoction called a Chamoyada, a slushie with spicy sauce near the food carts. Across the street from that is a Puerto Rican restaurant (Boriken). Those are just some of the options.

Here's the website for the food carts:

http://bgfoodcartel.com/

To me, much better than staying near the airport, especially for an early-30s couple celebrating their anniversary.

That being said, my first option would be to look for an AirBnb near central Portland that's within the budget. Try looking for something near N. Mississippi , the part between Skidmore and Fremont.

Something close to SE Division from 10th to 50th would be good too.

What dates will you be staying in Portland?

Edited: 04 October 2018, 02:12
Level Contributor
39,527 posts
1,021 reviews
10. Re: Beaverton or Tigard?

If you decide on Beaverton, we had a nice meal at Benihana there at their tappanyaki table. 🌹

Reply to: Beaverton or Tigard?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted