We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Hi! We are staying at the Westin downtown portland 07/10-07/12..we are taking the train from Seattle so we will not have a car to get around. It's for our 8 year anniversary (I'm the wife..and the planner). Looking for suggestings on what to do during the day on Saturday..can we take the max rail somewhere?..and also was wondering about night life and restaurants...we have been downtown once before and had a great time...

1st - best romantic restaurant? Husband does not eat red meat or pork so I good selection of seafood, pasta, poultry...looking for within walking distance or take the Max Rail. Also need second suggestion for non-anniversary night..more affordable but great food.

2nd - best lunch spot with great cocktails? Lighter fare

3rd - Night life around the Westin? Piano bar, pool hall, or laid back place with music? Husband is more alternative so nothing too stuffy at night.

Thanks! I'm also thinking of going to the art museum..do you know if it is in the entertainment book like seattle? Is there an aquarium or something else fun near by? Thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Well, we don't have an aquarium, but how about a zoo? You could take MAX there, then afterwards visit the Japanese Gardens and International Rose Test Garden. Walk down the hill from there to NW 21st & 23rd, and poke around the trendy shops, or have a bite in one of the many good restaurants. The area is a bit like Bell Town.

Other thoughts... Saturday Market is usually a hit: http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/ . Portland Farmers Market too: http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/ . And Farmers Market is near the Art Museum, if you end up doing that. Sorry, don't know if it's in the Entertainment Book.

Best romantic restaurant? is a question I should probably leave for our female regulars, but I don't think you could miss with Fenouil.

Fave lunch spot for lighter fare and great cocktails is Paragon. Standard order; small caesar with calamari, light on the dressing. Just love it. If you're around until Sunday evening there's a great Spanish guitar duo that plays, starting at 4:00pm. Henry's 12th Street Tavern could work for night life. Not sure if they've got music, but there is a billiards room on one level of the place.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

mistletoe has great suggestions:) While you are in NW area, head to Grochau Cellars for some great wine tasting, if that interests you. Henry's doesn't have music, but it is a lot of fun. In the main bar area they have an ice trough to keep your drinks cool, and then the billiards room upstairs has its own bar. Fenouil is a great choice for a romantic restaurant. Our art museum is not in the entertainment book.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

1- I agree with mistletoe .. we celebrated a birthday, an anniversary , a good news day :)

Look at the list of restaurants. . there are a couple that would work but Fenouil is tops in Romance.

We don't eat red meat .. or pork .. I almost always ate seafood and pasta .. they do it so well.. their website has the menu.

Non anniversary night could be Piazza Italia, not far from Fenouil.. they are easily gotten to by Streetcar ..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_…

Cocktails... I agree about Paragon , we loved that calamari ! Just for cocktails.. Vault Martini on NW 12th .. around the corner from bluehour on NW 13th & Everett ,which also is very good for cocktails and a great lunch .. or brunch too ...

look at their websites too ..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17890-Portland…

I used to spend a lot of time at the Portland Art Museum .. it is excellent !

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i972-Portland_M…

You will be surprised how much time you can spend wandering in the Pearl District, stopping for coffee at the Pearl Bakery and all the other coffee places and browsing the galleries, boutiques and bookstores.

Jimmy Maks .. jazz

www.jimmymaks.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Jake's might be a great spot for dinner. Incredible seafood. Easy walk from your hotel. Call in advance for reservations in the dining room.

Wildwood in NW Portland can be a nice lunch spot. Good food, drinks, wine. An easy streetcar ride up to 21st if you don't want to walk, but it certainly is not stretch from your hotel.

Night life - I can't really help you with this. But others can!

The art museum along the Park Blocks is wonderful.

OMSI is also stimulating.

I don't know about Entertainment Books.

Level Contributor
36,349 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Hi, we love Paley's Place in Portland, for a nice lunch go to the Portland City Grill. Have fun! :)

Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions! I've also done some research on my own so here is my itinerary so far..and yes, it mostly revolves around food and drinks!

Friday:

Check into hotel….go to 1001 for happy hour

Art Museum

Dinner @ Andina Restaurant

Saturday:

Breakfast: Mother’s Bistro

Saturday market- is this the one by the water?, Zoo or Japanese Gardens

Wine tasting @ Grochau or Urban Wine Works

Paragon Restaurant for lunch

Happy Hour @ Henry’s for pool

Dinner @ fenouil!! It is going to be hard to not order everything on the menu.

Sunday:

Brunch @ Heathman’s..been here before and have been dreaming of the eggs benedict ever since.

Ken’s Artisan Bakery for take home treats

BTW, How does the zoo compare to woodland park zoo (seattle)?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Sounds just great !!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

Just an FYI - wine tasting will have to be at Grochau, since Urban Wine Works closed a couple months ago. And, Grochau is a bit of a hike from the nearest streetcar stop; just over a mile, I'm guessing. There are a few wine shops around town that do tastings, if you're interested; Square Deal and Wines on Broadway come to mind. There used to also be a small shop under Andina that offered tasting; Pearl Wine Shop. Haven't been there in a while though; it may be closed now too.

Saturday Market is the one down by the river, near the Burnside Bridge. Between the zoo and Japanese Gardens, I'd go with the gardens. They're a little more difficult to get to though.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

http://www.ingoodtastestore.com/default.asp

In Good Taste does wine tastings, classes, they are great .. we lived right around the corner from them so we were in there often. They also have great things for the kitchen, bar and imported goodies like special mustards and spices etc.

Soaps and good smelling things too ..

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic Weekend Downtown - Please help 07/10-07/12 no car

We used to live in your area and went to the zoo about once a year. We always really liked it, but also like the Portland Zoo. If you are tight for time, I would skip it here since yours is just as good. I would say the two are very comparable, so it just depends if that is what you want to do.