We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ground transportation airport to train station

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
Save Topic
Ground transportation airport to train station

Hello! We are visiting Eugene this December. Portland is cheaper than Eugene to fly in to. Is it plausible to fly in, catch ground transportation to the train station and take a train into Eugene? Or is it too much bother to save a few bucks? We thought we would enjoy the train ride as well.

Thanks in advance.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,666 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

Portland's light rail system called MAX goes from the airport to Union train station; I believe it's 2-3 blocks walk from MAX stop. You'd take the red line to Rose Quarter then switch to the Yellow line to Union station.

Somebody else will have info on the trains, I'm sure. There is an Amtrak train.

I also found this shuttle:

http://www.city2cityshuttle.com/schedule.htm

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

Amtrak Cascades train and thruoughway bus connections offer numerous links per day from Portland to Eugene, with the last one of the day leaving Portland around 9 p.m. The Cascades (including the buses)are usually right on time. The Coast Starlight...the Seattle to L.A. overnighter...leaves Seattle in the morning and is scheduled to arrive in Eugene around 5-5:30 p.m., but is less dependable.

Fares are quite reasonable and, in December, it's probably a good idea to leave the driving to Amtrak.

The train station in Eugene is right downtown...an easy place for you to be picked up or to take a taxi.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

MAX red line goes into downtown. 5 or 6 blocks to Union Station, but new service for MAX goes to Union Stat. You can take either green or yellow on 6th. or is it 5th?

MAX at airport right in terminal easy access. we have used it a few times when we fly in/out. And a lot cheaper than a cab.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

Thanks everyone for your replies. My DIL picked us up last trip, but gas costs more than the train fare. Not to mention their time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

Wow, how much is the train fare, times 2? I cannot fathom that being cheaper than a tank of gas, in a regular car.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,516 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

There are seven trains a day Portland-Eugene. go to Amtrak.com and look up the scheduled for AmtrakCascades

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer… Even if you don't save a few bucks the trip is enjoyable.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

To be exact, there are SIX Amtrack links daily between Portland and Eugene...one of which is the Coast Starlight and the other five Cascades.

Coming south from PDX, the Cascades leave at 6:15 p.m. and 9:10 p.m. The other connections are NOT trains, but buses, leaving PDX at 11:30 a.m., 3:20 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.

Returning northbound, the Cascade trains leave Eugene ant 5:30 a.m. and 9 a.m.; with buses at 11:35 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 2:50 p.m.

Business people commuting from EUG to PDX can take the early train and get to their morning appointments on time and return by train at the end of the workday.

We've traveled to and from Seattle several times, utilizing train/bus connections which have worked out just fine.

As for the cost, right now it's $22 each way, less if you're a senior. That's more than you'll spend on gas for a 200 mile roundtrip drive, but you won't have to worry about truck traffic or tie-ups on I-5; can enjoy a meal aboard; read a book or newspaper; or snooze if that's your pleasure.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,666 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

Oregonpoppa, just so mitzyd won't be confused . . . you're using "PDX" to mean Portland? As in Union Station/

The Amtrak train doesn't go all the way to the airport, right?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

Thanks, half-Brit.

It can get confusing. Amtrak also uses PDX to identify Union Station in Portland. The station is downtown, not at the airport. EUG also IDs Eugene, both the airport and the train station downtown. The problem can get even more misleading in Eugene, since there is no public transportation at all between the city and the airport. Just shuttles and taxis.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ground transportation airport to train station

I like riding trains. I always have a fairly recent AMTRAK schedule here.

Poppa has listed train versus bus schedules. Personally if i could not catch a train I would think elsewise. Though bus may be better than having dil come and get you. for her.

I do not much like drive from Eugene to Albany. Some highway engineer (I was on of those) drew a straight line with one curve and built a boring road.

Train at least takes a few curves.

But if you want to be more sure, Decmber can be dicy at times here.

Maybe you should fly into Eugene