We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

Maryland
Level Contributor
470 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

Since our flight was cancelled and we now are staying an additional day near Portland, thought we'd try to get a room downtown on Saturday 7/16. However,there's nothing under $200+parking. Is the North Harbour area decent and accessible to downtown? We'd welcome any suggestions! Thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

Try bidding $150 on Priceline for a 4-star downtown. I bet you get something, and it will be fine.

If the best you can do otherwise is a north harbor location, you just as well book an airport hotel and take MAX into town.

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

Have you tried the POVA website? Hotels there include parking and complimentary breakfast. Last night we dined at Pazzo @ the Hotel Vintage Plaza which is very nice. We have also enjoyed a couple of stays at The Benson, across the street. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

I was thinking along the lines of thrumylens- airport hotel would be ok- another option to be more downtown is possibly the Lloyd District- it is still in fareless Max line area but on the east side. I dont think it really is that bad of an area, but others dissagree. Its not as posh or as active so at night(say after 10pm) it can feel a bit deserted than the downtown locations. Kids/Teens hang out at the nearby Lloyd Center mall so that also can put some people off.

Another option might be staying at the Kennedy School in Northeast portland if you have a car- you'd have all your entertainment right on site- if that is something that interests you...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

It sounds like you'll have a car (otherwise you wouldn't be balking at the 'extra' parking fee downtown hotels charge); in that case, 'North Harbour' (which most locals know as 'Jantzen Beach') is fine... a few mid-range 'extended stay'-type hotels, a shopping center, grocery, fast food, etc. Nothing special, but nothing bad about the area...and it's about 5 miles north of downtown on I-5, so it's convenient enough.

One thought about downtown, playing off what others have said re: priceline, is to (if you CAN find a room via priceline, Hotwire, etc.) turn in your car a night early (i.e. possibly saving 1 day of rental cost?) and ride MAX to the airport the next day? This could more than make up for the $20-30 parking fee at a downtown hotel.

You *might* luck out and find a room available at Park Lane Suites (near downtown). http://www.parklanesuites.com/ Supposedly, they have some rooms set aside for patrons of the Portland International Beerfest that weekend. If you call you should mention 'PIB'; furthermore, if you have any interest in going to a fun beerfest at a pretty little park in downtown, you should attend! www.seattlebeerfest.com/Index2%20PIB.htm

Re: Chinookgrrl's Kennedy School idea tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52024-d112200-… - worth a try, but I've heard they're booking up months in advance, especially on summer weekends. However, if you could squeeze into a cancelled room for a night, KS is a fun/cool taste of Portland's quirkiness and is only a 10 minute+/- drive to PDX, located in a quieter NE Portland neighborhood. For a downtown McMenamins experience, try the new Crystal Hotel tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52024-d2155741…

Cheers,

Brian

Edited: 29 June 2011, 11:47
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

There are a number of "decent" and even "more than decent" hotels in the Jantzen Beach / North Harbour area. Have you looked at Oxford Suites? They are about 30 minutes from downtown via MAX. Warning - traffic on I-5 around commute hours is (in the words of a local Portland poster) "hellacious"!

Chinookgrrl has some good ideas.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

ohh - north harbor- never heard of Jantzen Beach called that before- must be some new marketing campaign :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

Chinookgirl, I wondered that too:)

If you can snag a room at the Kennedy School, that is what I would pick. Great place to stay as it is unique and lots of fun.

BTW, yes, traffic CAN be bad, but not all the time, even during commute hours. Being from Maryland, you probably won't even bat an eye.

Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

Oh my! What started out as a simple general question has become a football of intrigue.

First of all the question was relative to accommodations in the North Harbor area.

My understanding is that this usually refers to the North Anchor Way and North Harbor Drive area just off of Marine Drive. For the most part the accommodations there are Marriott properties and that probably answers the question about ''decent'' accommodations. Accessibility is another issue.

The important distinction between this area and Jantzen Beach is that the North Harbor area is accessible from surface streets if Interstate Five is jammed up. This is not difficult but would require a bit of advance planning with a map in hand.

Jantzen Beach is an island which is accessible ONLY from Interstate Five unless you can swim or have a boat.

This is important because North bound Interstate Five is usually often simply a parking lot during commute hours ( 3:00 PM for several hours) because the bridge across the Columbia River is hopelessly inadequate. As a result it is very difficult during this time frame to get farther North than Exit 306.

So! The short answer is that the North Harbor area certainly is ''decent'' or better. Downtown is certainly accessible either by freeway or freeway plus surface streets but a bit of planning and thought is in order to avoid the commute congestion on the freeway and may be a bit challenging unless you are familiar with the surface streets in that area.

There certainly are other options. Oxford Suites was suggested by someone. This is an excellent value and very ''decent' by my standards. However, it is in Jantzen Beach and as mentioned above, there is NO ACCESS except from the Freeway Five and it can be very challenging during commute hours to get to the exit.

Other suggestions included the Kennedy School which is sometimes referred to as a ''European style'' hotel. My understanding is that very few of the rooms are ''en suites'' so a shared bathroom down the hall may be the order of the day.

The Clarion or the Staybridge Suites near the Airport are very nice. Actually there are dozens of very nice hotels ... Marriott alone must have four or five ... on Airport Way.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

I think the cheapest good hotels (not luxurious or "incredible") are at the airport. Consider staying in one of those and using the Airport MAX to go downtown and back. Might that work for you?

10. Re: Help! All downtown hotels booked 7/16. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 18:18