We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

madison wi
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

Any recommendations for a restaurant for lunch downtown Portland that is in walking distance from the Monaco hotel,is quiet (some guest have hearing problems)serves anything but all beef, pricey but not outrageous- a place you would take your grandmother to?

This would be a Thursday luncheon in October.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

Within a relatively short walk - say, 6 blocks or less - there are not too many places I can think of that fit the bill as you describe...

One obvious choice (given your 'take your grandmother there' criteria) is Mother's Bistro on SW Stark & 2nd (4-5 blocks from Monaco). Lovely atmosphere and very good brunch/lunch fare and they can accommodate a group.

One place that's a bit farther to walk, but that's excellent is Higgins on SW Broadway/Jefferson. Elegant without being snooty, excellent NW/fresh cuisine, should be nice for a group. You could hop on a MAX Yellow or Green at Pioneer Courthouse and ride one stop south to shorten the walk substantially.

You also might try Urban Farmer, in the atrium of the nearby hotel, The Nines... or even the Red Star Tavern at your hotel (though I recall it being fairly loud on a couple of group lunch outings).

Hope that helps,

Brian

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

I like the Brasserie Montmarte. Up a bit from your hotel but still pretty easy walking. Check it out.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

I second the Brasserie Montmarte. Excellent food.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

Portland City Grill - you'll knock her socks off with the view.

Level Contributor
36,311 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

We love Portland City Grill, we just had a great lunch there this past Wed. with my son and his wife. :).

Edited: 19 September 2011, 18:10
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

I love, love, love Mother's but it might be a little loud given that some of your party has hearing issues. You might call ahead. Lisa is very accommodating and if she can find a quiet spot for you, she will make it happen if it's at all possible.

Higgins, in the restaurant, not bar area.

The Heathman can be good too.

Jake's Famous has booths.

Southpark may be an option but again, I'd call and ask about the noise level just to be safe.

If Mama Mia is still open for lunch, it tends to be a lot quieter than Mother's.

Brasserie is good and you can get a booth there, which helps with the noise.

7. Re: Restaurant for lunch downtown Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:16