We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

We are planning a short trip to Portland and the wine country the first week in July. We are looking for a hotel in Portland in a good location, with nice rooms and bathrooms, good linens, possibly breakfast and within walking distance of good restaurants and attractions. We are from NYC so "walking distance" is vast range. WE tend to like more boutique kinds of hotels but my husband travels alot for business so he is a little pickier. We tend to shy away from very large Marriott type hotels. We are also looking to spend a couple of nights in a B&B in wine country. I have found some on line that look nice but I am not sure which town is best. McMinniville? Newberg? Dundee? We would like to keep both options to under $325 a night. We are also deciding where it makes sense to stay over July 4th in terms of pricing. We can do the trip either way Thanks!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

when you get to mcminnville, be sure to eat at las rambles...i am a food snob, and we loved that...very spanish and tasty.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

Actually, the Embassy Suites Downtown might fit your needs. It is in the historic renovated Multnomah Hotel. Pool, breakfast, gym. Nice rooms with easy walking distance to all of downtown. Parking across the street, with a price.

Wine country is a great, easy run from Portland. You might try the Dundee Bistro for lunch, or Thistle in McMinnvile for dinner. There are also wine tours available.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

Be sure to ask for the Portland Perks deal and you will probably get free parking.

A lot of regions in the Pacific Northwest are coming into their own in the winery business.

Western Washington as well as the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic area on both the WA and Oregon sides as well. The Rogue Umpqua area included.

In the Gorge, you can find a good BnB or maybe the Columbia Cliffs Villas, on the same corner and the Columbia Gorge Inn with their waterfall in the corner may appeal to you. They sit on the Columbia River.

In Hood River, I love Marchesi Winery. The knowledgeable Italian who owns it says the Gorge is much like the part of Italy he grew up in. Consumer friendly, they have a patio where locals and visitors alike sit and sample and talk. This weekend is their wine stomping fest much like Lucy Ricardo and Ethel.. So fun. Check their site for pictures.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy.

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

another few hotels to check out-

Benson Hotel

The Nines

If you havent been to Oregon before, I'd definetly recommend a side trip to the Oregon Coast. I'd rather spend a night at the coast and just do a day trip to wine country from Portland.

Dobbs Ferry, NY
Level Contributor
571 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

Thank you all so much! I will do some more research. We will be driving from Portland to Seattle so I am sure we will get to see some lovely sights. I have already checked out the Nines and it looks great. I will check out the others as well. i love how generous and knowledgeable the TA community is

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

We have enjoyed very nice stays at The Benson (twice) The Heathman and Hotel Deluxe (four nights.) In the wine country, we have enjoyed two fantastic stays at The Allison Inn & Spa, it is in your price range and is very nice with a great indoor pool, jacuzzi, restaurant on-site and a lovely spa and hair salon.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

It will take you about 3 hours to drive from Portland to Seattle.

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

You might also consider Hotel Lucia or Vintage Plaza in downtown Portland. Your dates coincide with the annual Waterfront Blues Festival (July 4 - 8), so don't wait too long to make a decision.

As to which town in wine country is best..... Dundee isn't much of a town, and Newberg has kind of an industrial feel to it. So of the three you mention, I'd have to say McMinnville. But a recommendation would kind of depend on what kind of B&B you're looking for. Those IN McMinnville (and probably Newberg) are mostly the traditional large, older homes that have been converted. Outside of the towns, you'll find places like Youngberg Hill, Black Walnut Inn, and Chehalem Ridge. And for any of those outside of the towns, you won't be able to walk to dinner.

By the way, don't expect much scenery between Seattle and Portland. The coast and the Columbia River Gorge are where you'd want to go for the best of that.

If you add taxes, I don't think that even the standard rooms at The Allison fit into kidfree's "under $325", syrahgirl. It's not a B&B anyway, is it?

Edited: 28 October 2011, 14:28
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

Some folks stay in lodging in the off season and often use coupons . . . but those prices are not necessarily the same as they will be in high tourist season!

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Country and Downtown Lodging

The Embassy Suites downtown, as previously mentioned, is historic, beautiful, and right in the heart of things. If you want to get out of the hotel for breakfast, try Mother's Bistro (walking distance).

In Yamhill County (where the highest concentration of wineries is), there are lots of B&B's and small inns. But, many are in rural neighborhoods, so you'll need to drive anywhere you want to go. For being a very small town, Dundee has a lot to offer. The Inn at Red Hills in pretty new, and from there you could walk to Zerba's tasting room, as well as Argyle (known for their sparkling wines); there are plenty more within two-three miles that are worth a visit. For dining in Dundee, there's Tina's, Red Hills Provincial Dining and the Dundee Bistro (I've been to all three and would recommend all three).