We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

Saint Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

I will be staying at Crater Lake Lodge then driving to Gold Beach on July 2. How is the Forest Service Road, Rt 28, to drive from Merlin/Galice/Agness/Gold Beach? Is the road all unpaved and can you drive it in a car (not a SUV)? If so, how long does it take to drive from Merlin to Gold Beach taking this route? Thanks

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

Hi there,

I am sorry your question doesn't have an answer.

Since I don't know the area, I can't get you an answer either.

But you might check with the USDA Forest Service in that area. Merlin and Galice are close to Grants Pass I think so you might start with the 'FS in Grants Pass. At least they could send you in the direction.

MrsO

Edited: 26 June 2012, 08:44
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

I retired from Forest Service. I have been on that road several time. I have a Siskiyou NF map. It says road number is 23. At Agness to Gold Beach it is 33.

Last time i was on it it was all hard surfaced, but it has been enough years since I have been there I do not know current siruation. It is a mountain road. It is steep is places, single lane with turnouts in a few places, though a lot is two lane. Road 33 Agnees to Gold beach was a good paved two lane road.

Really depends on how you can handle driving in the mountains. If you are from Iowa don't go. From Montana you should be fine.

Time, I forget maybe 2 1/2 hours. I know FS people normally use it to get to Grants Pass from Gold Beach except in winter. rather than go around via Cal

I was away in FS vehicle so can't say for sure about personal car. I think most would be ok if not low to ground.

DO NOT USE IT IN WINTER.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 11:56
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

half-Brit usually answers this question since they've been on it during the last year or so ...and says it's an OK road now in summer. But phirl's advice about avoiding it if driving such roads scares you or creates too much stress is good advice.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

Is this your own car or a rental? You may void a rental contract on some roads. I am not sure this one would be included.

I was hoping others would chime in if I bumped you to the top. Glad they did.

MrsO

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

We are facing same question on the Big Isle. we go in Oct, 4th or 5th time, but have never driven the Saddle Road. cause some rentals will not allow it. So you take a risk. So am pursing that on Hawaii TA.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 16:12
Saint Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

Thank you for all the information!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,350 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

I believe that road is the one the rafting companies use. I have been on it a couple of times and once there was a significant detour that had us going on dirt. You could call one of the rafting companies and ask them about its condition. We used Ouzel Outfitters. Or you could contact the nearest forest service office.

Saint Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

Here is thread about Road 23

Edited: 14 July 2012, 11:59
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,367 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive Forest Service Road from Merlin to Gold Beach?

I was out in the middle of the wilderness somewhere along the Alaska Highway with no wi-fi when this thread first appeared, oregonpoppa ;-)

Phirl's post #2 gives a good description of it. It's all paved, most of it wide enough for two full lanes, some narrow spots. Some tight curves.

If there has been a slide or something, there will be gravel/dirt patches. I would not want to tow a large trailer on it but yes the rafting companies do tow their raft trailers.

It's about three hours one way +/-. No cell phone service for most of it.

L0veTravelAdventures, did you drive it? How did you find the road?

It's been two summers since I've driven it so would be great to have an update - thanks!