We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay In

Rhode Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay In

Hi all,

I know this is a pretty broad question but I am planning my second trip to Portland this August. Last time we were doing a west coast road trip and only stayed in Portland for one night outside of the city (we found places to stay as we went so we didn't stay in the best area). This time we will be renting a house and staying in Portland for a few days before driving out to Bend and Crater Lake. We will have a rental car. There will be four of us and we'd like to be able to walk to do somethings maybe get dinner, a drink or coffee in the morning but it wouldn't be awful if we needed to drive to see some of the different areas.

Two houses are in the Irvington area, two are in Richmond area, and the other is in the Westmoreland/Sellwood area. Not sure if any of these are in an ideal spot but it's hard to tell what a good spot would be. Last time we were in Portland it was an awful rainy day and we spent most of it in the Japense Garden and the remainder in the Nob Hill area walking around and looking at shops.

Any advice/information would be appreciated. Thank you soo much!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay In

Do know addresses of these rental homes (if not exact street numbers, at least the cross streets)? That would help a lot in recommending an area.... but for starters...my thoughts are:

Irvington, in NE, is perhaps 'nicest' of the 3: stately homes and pretty yards (although some lawns are brown & dry in August, many people don't water their lawns here in the summer), close to Broadway & Weidler for dining/coffee etc. Also, the drive to downtown should only take about 5 -7 minutes.

Richmond is an inner SE area that includes Hawthorne St & Division St. It's got it's charm, definitely... maybe a bit more 'edgy'. Some very good restaurants and cafes along both main streets. A bit more density, a mix of large and small home - a fair number of rentals - a bit more 'walkable'. 10 minutes to downtown, depending on traffic.

Sellwood/Westmoreland is further south, a bit more remote from the other two neighborhoods (although only by a few minutes) I'd call its main streets (SE 13th and 17th/Milwaukie, north of Tacoma) the most 'charming', lots of little restaurants, cafes and boutiques. The area is known for antique shops, too. Homes are a bit smaller, 'middle-class', comfortable. Lots of trees. A couple of good parks are nearby (Sellwood, Oaks Bottom, Westmoreland).

Hope that helps,

Brian

Edited: 04 March 2013, 15:14
Rhode Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay In

Thanks Brian you gave a lot of good information and things for us to think about.

I do have cross streets for the rentals:

House 1: NE Thompson St and NE 14th St

House 2: SE Cora St and SE 24th Ave

House 3: SE Hawthorne Blvd between SE 40th Ave and SE 41st Ave

House 4: NE Hancock St and NE 9th Ave

We aren't sold/locked into any of these houses if you could suggest any area in Portland where would you suggest?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay In

Houses 1, 3 and 4 put you in nice walkable areas to coffee shops, restaurants and bars, plus easy access to public transportation. Have fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay In

I would skip house #2. I don't think that is a great location. If the person is advertising house #2 as westmoreland I think they are being very misleading. I agree with mamababoo that 1, 3, or 4 are all in nice walkable areas and you would probably be happy with any of them.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

5. Re: Best Area to Stay In

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 02:16