We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days from south Oregon to north O.

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
5 days from south Oregon to north O.

I'm not sure why I don't get answers when I ask a question. I'm friendly. Try to be short. I maybe in the wrong forum ?

I'm asking on this site because I've almost the same question, except we're coming from San Francisco. We've only 5 days. We do like to smell the roses and maybe stay somewhere 2 nights if we can. We like to see all of the beautiful sides Oregon has to offer. I thought of rushing on the 5 north till . . . .or is there time to head over to the west at some point and then drive north ? Then heading back down home on the 5 stoping for wine-tasting, the lakes ? I know, it's to much.

Please, I need your advise and truly would appreciate it. In the meantime I'm doing my homework also.

Thank you so much,

It's only my daughter and myself.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

??? You did get a reply to an earlier question about wine country, and on the same day. And this post was only late today; what are you talking about?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,717 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

I have to echo voyaging's response to you saying you don't get responses. You asked one question about getting to wine country and coast from Portland and received a prompt reply. I was going to respond also to be sure you meant the Willamette Valley wine country near Portland and not the southern Willamette Valley, Umpqua or southern Oregon wine districts. But I figured the answer you got was what you wanted...so I left it alone.

However, not I WILL ask some questions that you need to answer to get useful information from us. Are you doing a loop back to SF? Are the 5 days all travel days or do we need to subtract time you might be spending in SF?

How many hours a day are you comfortable driving? You say you are coming from SF, but your headline says south Oregon to north Oregon (excluding the time from SF to Oregon?). If you go up 101 through the redwoods, it'll take you about 7 hours to Crescent City. You can then go up the coast as far as Newport or Lincoln City before cutting over to the I-5 to Portland. If you have to return to SF, you'll probably only have time to shoot straight down I-5.

You can take the #18 from Lincoln City thru McMinnville and the wine country on your way to Portland. You would not have time for a tour of the wine country, though, unless you cut out something else on your itinerary. If this is a one-way trip, it'll give you at least one extra day.

Now...look things over and give us your sightseeing priorities and we'll help you further. Decide where you want to spend two nights and we can adjust your itinerary accordingly.

But, please, don't say no one answers your questions.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

I think you may have posted on the Salem forum, which doesn't get as much attention as the Portland, Oregon or Oregon Coast forums. When browsing, I call up Oregon forums which does pick up everything.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
42 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

@Camryn_10 not sure if you are still looking for answers on your Oregon trip, but please feel free to contact me either through the forum or a private message. I live in Salem and have for 27 years would love to advise you on Oregon's beauty!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

Well, if you are looping, best to go south on coast.. I would head to coast on OR-18 from McMinnville where you can see some wine country.

Not sure what wine country you are thinking of along I-5

from coast you can head inland at Reedsport to Roseburg, or from Crescent City on 199, though once you get to CC you might be best to stay on 101 info SF

Edited: 26 May 2012, 15:13
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

oregonadventurer66, I see you are brand new to the Oregon forums, welcome.

There are many Oregon natives and long-term residents who are regulars here, and we all pitch in with information about our various areas of expertise. There is no need for a poster to "PM" anybody unless they are asking for extremely specific information . . . when information is shared on the open forums it is helpful to all readers :-)

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

Camryn, you will get lots of help if you help us. Oregon has so much to offer in terms of diverse natural beauty that advising anyone cold can be an overwhelming task. Besides wine what are you interested in? Beaches? Mountains? Hot springs? Lava beds? Fossils? Wild rivers? Fishing? Western Americana? Oregon has all this and more.

Very broad, general queries like yours are the hardest to answer. If you narrow things down a bit, the TripAdvisors will have a frame of reference in which to apply their knowledge.

8. Re: 5 days from south Oregon to north O.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Salem