We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

Springfield...
Level Contributor
292 posts
76 reviews
Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

We will be driving from the Toledo, Ohio area to Niagara Falls.

✔️ We will be on Interstate 90 but planned to switch to Highway 5 in Erie so the remainder of our drive to Buffalo is scenic. I read an old post where a lady said they got about 20 minutes off track in Erie trying to find Hwy 5 so she recommended we not switch to Hwy 5 until after Erie. Thoughts?

✔️Say we go ahead and switch at Erie.... looking for decent area recommendations for a late lunch. We would obviously want to make sure we are in a safe area when stopping. Anything from a good sandwich shop to Fazoli’s or anything not McDonalds is fine. We are a mid-40s couple, no kids in tow.

Thank You

9 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

PA-5 is 12th St. in Erie, and is easily accessible via I-79 exit 183A, just before the Bayfront Parkway. Just be aware that there's a mandatory left turn at Franklin Ave, as the road comes to a "T" there. When you get to State St., you have plenty of lunch options. U Pick 6 Taphouse, Jekyll and Hyde's, Molly Brannigan's, and many others are within a few blocks. I can't speak to the following places personally, but others have recommend Smugglers' Wharf, Rum Runner's Cove, and Sloppy Duck Saloon along the Bayfront Parkway, the first two being located near the Sheraton Bayfront Hotel, the latter being a few blocks west across from the Cobblestone Hotel. Picking up PA-5 from the Bayfront Parkway is fairly simple if you head east and hang a left onto 6th St., which becomes E. Lake Rd./PA-5. Take a look at Google Maps and you'll see what I mean.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
285 reviews
2. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

I would suggest the Sloppy Duck for lunch and I recommend the perch sandwich. https://goo.gl/maps/Y2fCff48S7K2

https://goo.gl/maps/C31vj4BHQ3p

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

There is good scenery west of Erie and east of Erie on 5. I guess it depends on how much time you have for your travels coming thru? I would have you start your scenery tour coming off I90 at exit 18 in Pennsylvania, Presque Isle/Sterrettania. Turn left and ride 832 all the way to the lake (search point = Presque Isle State Park or Tom Ride Environmental Center coming from Toledo). Reserve a good 45 minutes or hopefully more and drive around the peninsula that is Presque Isle State Park. Best fresh water beaches in the country and a gorgeous bay view of Erie City. From the peninsula, head to either the Sloppy Duck Restaurant as suggested or Rum Runners Cove (my favorite) or Smugglers Wharf (Google Maps or Garmin search points) and take the short drive down to view the bay and enjoy a good lunch in Erie. From there, your next search data point will be Lawrence Park Golf Club or Shades Beach Park (East side of Erie). Both are located on East Lake Road aka Route 5 as this will help you leave town easily without getting lost. As Ext_Corr suggests, you can ride 12th street thru if you prefer a much faster route. Just remember Erie streets follow a grid network. I.E. 1st street runs along the lake. 12th street is 12 blocks from the lake. So if you find yourself on 21st street (21 blocks from the lake) you simply point your car north and you will hit 12th street which will get you out of town heading East. Enjoy your trip to the Falls! Erie is truly worth the stop on your way thru...

Erie, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Erie
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

If you have the time, I would definitely go with the second itinerary (Shaffersa). Lots to see on Route 5 in the west county, definitely worth the time to do the Presque Isle State Park loop. It’s gorgeous. You could stop at the entrance at Sara’s for burgers and onion rings (definitely a step above McDonalds), or continue on to Dobbins Landing which is just off the Bayfront Parkway for lunch, rather than venturing into downtown Erie. Smugglers, The Cove, or my favorite, the Bayfront Grille at the Sheraton Hotel and eat on the bay (it IS a little more expensive). Then just hop back on the Bayfront Highway and follow the signs for Route 5. This will go through town for a short period, but don’t worry, you will soon be back along the waterfront for some great scenery on your way to NY.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
292 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ve got lots to review and consider now!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
292 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

Just an update: the plan is to get off I-90 at Exit 18 and spend maybe an hour enjoying Presque Isle State Park. Greatly appreciate all the feedback and details! 👍

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

Check out the old Presque Isle Lighthouse while you're there between 10 am and 5 pm.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 17:29
Erie, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Erie
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

If you are only there for an hour, I wouldn’t stop at the Lighthouse. It will take almost an hour to get around the park.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions

Presque Isle State Park is gorgeous. If you have time to see it -- go. But, here is a different plan. This is for those who don't have time to stop and sightsee, but are just looking for a beautiful drive. When you come into PA on I-90, pass the Erie exits and then take the Harborcreek exit and head north to Route 5. This is where Route 5 runs along the lake has some beautiful scenery and views of Lake Erie. If you want to stop for a bite to eat, try Noosa North East which has a beautiful view of the Lake Erie at the North East Marina. From here you are about 4-ish miles from New York State. You can continue on Route 5 into New York State for more beautiful views, or get back on I-90 at Shortman Road. I often drive Route 5 into Dunkirk, NY. It's much prettier than the highway.

Edited: 24 July 2018, 21:14
Reply to: Toldeo Area to Niagara ~ Erie questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted