We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passing Through

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Passing Through

We will be driving from Sault St Marie to Niagra Falls this summer and wondering about stopping here. Is that worth doing? Any recommendations? Would appreciate any insight.

2 replies to this topic
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
637 reviews
1. Re: Passing Through

Manitoulin is quiet, quiet, quiet. It's averagely scenic. There are some great swimming spots, good fishing, and some fairly easy hikes. It's nice for camping if that's your thing. Did I mention how quiet it is? I used to go here regularly and then there was a 15 year gap between my visits and nothing had changed - lovely!

If you do spend a couple of nights here you can either drive to NF via Sudbury or you can take the ferry to Tobermory and travel from there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Passing Through

Depends what you like. We have a cottage on Manitoulin and we love it. It's a bit like going back in time--no chains, no fancy attractions, almost no hustle and bustle. There are a few great annual events (art tour, Countryfest) and quite a few small town happenings (fundraising suppers, little theatre, cardboard boat races). If you're looking for relaxing and peaceful, you'll find it.

Reply to: Passing Through
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manitoulin Island