We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best summer month to visit

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Best summer month to visit

Hi there! Looking for some advice for the best time to visit to avoid the bugs as much as possible. How are the bugs in mind-late July? How's August? Just wanting to ensure we maximize the fun as much as possible. Thank you! :)

2 replies to this topic
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
638 reviews
1. Re: Best summer month to visit

When I was growing up my family had a camper on Manitoulin ... generally July or August are fine ... mid-July should be great weather (but who can really predict!).

We rented a cabin for many years on the last week of June and the bugs were never bad. We would remember if they were bad as my niece gets large welts from any insect bite.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Best summer month to visit

Agree for the most part. Best time, IMO, second half of July through second half of August. The blackflies will be gone, but you'll still have mosquitos especially at dusk and dawn. You might still run into horseflies or deerflies--they tend to show up just as blackflies disappear and stick around for a few weeks. Dragon flies seem to show up around the same time, and tend to keep things mostly under control.

Reply to: Best summer month to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manitoulin Island